Stat help

1. Hi, I need help understanding how do I use t-distribution to estimate the tα/2 . Also what is meant when it asks "verify your result with empirical rule"

2. jcsd
  3. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you understand what α is?

4. no i dont, what is it?

5. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is the level of probability to be used for testing. The probability that the result is due to chance.

Do you know what a probability distribution is?

6. Basically i'm working on a problem that asks that part of the question. I have solved for the population mean, and have different samples with 3 data in them. I calculated the x-bar of those samples with the standard dev and have gotten their confidence intervals.

7. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's all very good; how does your original question about the t distribution relate to the rest?

8. here is the question:

- Find the population mean and its standard deviation
    - List all possible samples of size 3 from those 5 units
    - From each sample, compute the mean, standard deviation, and 95% confidence interval. Use t-distribution to estimate the tα/2 because we have a small size.

9. Questions like this belong in the Homework forum. Please post there next time. Hey, I don't make the rules around here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?