1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stat Mech- How does heat vary with temperature over an arbitrary pathway

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are told that you have 1 mole of an ideal gas with heat capacity at constant volume being 1.5R and you send it over an arbitrary path where dq/dt|pathway= 2R. In the end, the volume of the gas doubles, so figure out by what factor the temperature must change. Assume that the process is reversible

3. The attempt at a solution

du=dq +dw= dq -p*dv
    dq=du + p*dv
    dq/dt|path =du/dt |path + (d/dt* (P)* dv + P dv/dt|path)

Saying that P= -dF/dv|t,n cause it to become

dq/dt|path =du/dt |path + (0+ P dv/dt|path)

dq/dt|path=2R

u=Cv*T=NRC *T (I am not sure I can apply equation of state u=Cv*T
    du/dt=Cv=1.5R =NRC

2R =du/dt |path + (0+ P dv/dt|path)
    2R =1.5R + (0+ P dv/dt|path)=RC + (0+ P dv/dt)
    .5R=P* dv/dt|path
    P/.5R=dt/dv|path

V*P/.5R=T such that T2=V2*P2/.5R=2V1*P2/.5R

However because I am sure that I did this wrong because I can get the same result knowing that PV=NRT such that T2=2*(P2/P1) T1

The hint at the end about the process being reversible makes it that Cv=(du/dt)|v=T(ds/dt)|v

I am kind of lost at this point and not really sure how to proceed. Anyone want to help point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?