Finding Equilibrium in a Gas Box

In summary, a box is divided into two portions, with one containing 1000 molecules of Neon gas and the other containing 100 molecules of Helium gas. After creating a small hole in the partition, equilibrium is reached. The mean number of molecules on each side of the partition can be found using the initial number of accessible states and final number of accessible states. For the probability portion, the probability of finding 1000 molecules of Neon gas in the larger portion and 100 molecules of Helium gas in the smaller portion is (1/3)^1000 and (2/3)^100 respectively. This is based on the probability of finding 1 molecule of each gas in their respective portions.
FourierX

Homework Statement

A box is separated by a partition which divides its volume in the ratio 3:1. The larger portion of the box contains 1000 molecules of Neon gas, the smaller box contains 100 molecules of Helium gas. A small hole is made in the partition, and one waits until equilibrium is attained.

i) Find the mean number of molecules of each type on either side of the partition.
ii) What is the probability of finding 1000 molecules of of Neon gas in the larger portion and 100 molecules of Helium gas in the smaller (i.e. the same distribution as in the initial system) ?

Homework Equations

Pi = [tex]\Omega[/tex]i/[tex]\Omega[/tex]f

where,
[tex]\Omega[/tex]i = initial number of accessible state
[tex]\Omega[/tex]f = final number of accessible state

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the idea of equilibrium, reversible and irreversible processes.

"Berkeley"

Physics news on Phys.org
For the probability portion, here is what i did:

Since the partition exists with a ratio 3:1
Probability of finding N Neon gas in the larger portion = (1/3)N
where,
(1/3) is the probability of finding 1 molecule of Neon gas in the larger portion
N = 1000

Probability of finding N Helium gas in the smaller portion = (2/3)N
where,
(2/3) is the probability of finding 1 molecule of Helium gas in the smaller portion
N = 100

I believe this is correct, but please help me be sure

thanks

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in statistical physics?

Equilibrium in statistical physics refers to a state where the macroscopic properties of a system do not change over time. This means that the system is in a stable and balanced state, with no net flow of energy or particles. In other words, the system has reached a state of maximum entropy.

2. What are the different types of equilibrium in statistical physics?

There are three types of equilibrium in statistical physics: thermal equilibrium, mechanical equilibrium, and chemical equilibrium. Thermal equilibrium refers to a system where the temperature is uniform and there is no heat transfer. Mechanical equilibrium occurs when there is no net force acting on the system. Chemical equilibrium is achieved when the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction do not change over time.

3. What is the role of the Boltzmann distribution in statistical physics?

The Boltzmann distribution is a mathematical formula that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It gives the probability of each possible energy state that a particle can occupy. This distribution is essential in understanding the behavior of systems at equilibrium and is used in various statistical physics calculations.

4. How does entropy relate to equilibrium in statistical physics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In statistical physics, equilibrium is reached when the system has maximum entropy. This means that the system is in a state of maximum disorder and there is no tendency for the system to change over time. Entropy plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of systems at equilibrium.

5. What are the main principles of statistical mechanics?

The main principles of statistical mechanics include the law of conservation of energy, the second law of thermodynamics, and the principle of microscopic reversibility. These principles form the basis of statistical physics and are used to understand the behavior of systems at equilibrium.