1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stat questtion

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

20. The probabilities that a certain type of cell produces during its lifetime 0,1,2 cells of the first
    generation are 1/4 , 1/2, 1/4, and any cell of the first generation produces cells of the second
    generation under the same conditions. Find the probabilities
    (i) that three cells will produce exactly three cells of the first generation?
    (ii) that two cells will produce at least one cell of the first generation?
    (iii) that one cell will give rise to at least one cell of the second generation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

In fact, I am not quite understanding what's going on...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll get you started. Let X, Y, and Z be the number of cells produced by each of your original three cells in the first generation. For each of these you know the discrete probability function values:

P(X = 0) = 1/4
    P(X = 1) = 1/2
    P(X = 2) = 1/4

and similarly for Y and Z. For (a) you are asking for

P(X + Y + Z = 3)

Now X + Y + Z = 3 can happen in several ways. One way would be X = 2, Y = 1, Z = 0. What is the probability associated with that? List all the other ways and calculate the probabilities for them and add them up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook