Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

State 4 Respiration

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    i was undertaking a question regarding a patient who had a mutation in their mitochondria, and hence experienced lethargy. A subsequent test of his mitochondria found his mitochondria to have an increased state 4 respiration, but a normal state 3 respiration.

In order to explain this, I would have thought that perhaps some mutation has results in increased leak across the inner mitochondrial membrane, dissipating the PMF and thus electric field across the membrane, in turn activating the respiratory chain. However, the answer for the question was:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9099/screenshot20100411at184.png [Broken]

Can someone explain this answer to me; i am unable to understand it; and what is wrong with my explanation?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    It would help if you copied the entire question. I don't understand the ADP addition experiment from what you copied alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook