1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

State changes of an ideal gas.

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    For example there is change state on an ideal gas. The temperature of states are X and Y. The change on X and Y is a change of constant pressure but increasing in volume. Let the quantity of the ideal gas be 1[mol], and let R[J/mol*K] denote the gas constant. Find the work which the gas did on the outside during the state change from X to Y.

Note: I have difficulty on the finding the work done using the formula W=PV because there is no amount given for temperature, pressure and volume. And secondly, the formula for Work done on an gas is only Pressure and Volume, what is the connection of the quantity of the ideal gas be 1[mol], and let R[J/mol*K] denote the gas constant?Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2
    can you get V1 and V2 using PV=mRT etc?? Then W=P(V2-V1)

4. Apr 28, 2006 #3
    Homer Simpson, I cannot get the value of it since thats the only given. The original graph is located at www.geocities.com/willydavidjr/pvdiagram ....The X and Y I am talking about is the change from state 2 to 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?