What are the current hot issues in the standard cosmological model?

In summary, this paper provides a mix of both the conceptual and technical foundations of modern theory, addressing a number of hot issues that remain unsolved. A good read for all levels of expertise.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If interested in a current overview of the standard cosmological model try
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0409280
This paper gives a mix of both the conceptual and technical foundations of modern theory and addresses a number of hot issues that remain unsolved. A good read for all levels of expertise.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I didn't know the empirical Hubble law (equation 10):
z=H*L
where L is luminosity distance
although i knew the more familiar Hubble law
v=H*d

I didnt't know that either. It was quite interesting. One thing I found particularly interesting was the discussion on how DM broke free from the early universe and facilitated structure formation in the early universe. I have often been uneasy with dark matter, but, that makes a pretty compelling case for it.

Last edited:
meteor said:
I didn't know the empirical Hubble law (equation 10):
z=H*L
where L is luminosity distance
although i knew the more familiar Hubble law
v=H*d
z, of course, is what you measure from the spectra of distant objects; converting it to a 'recession speed' is simple, and (AFAIK) in the early days papers gave a 'recession velocity' (z came later). L and d are more subtle - as Maroto and Ramírez point out, "neither the recession velocities nor the physical emission distances to galaxies are empirically measurable"; what we actually observe is an apparent magnitude (luminosity), and we convert to a 'distance' from an estimated absolute magnitude (the 'standard candle').

The section treating BBN is quite interesting. It has cleared me some doubts that i had about the deuterium bottleneck, and is always great to remember how Hoyle solved the puzzle of the production of heavy elements with his "triple alpha process". Hoyle was a great astrophysicist. I'm afraid that his involvement in the Steady State model has always been like a dark shadow over his career

Nereid said:
z, of course, is what you measure from the spectra of distant objects; converting it to a 'recession speed' is simple, and (AFAIK) in the early days papers gave a 'recession velocity' (z came later). L and d are more subtle - as Maroto and Ramírez point out, "neither the recession velocities nor the physical emission distances to galaxies are empirically measurable"; what we actually observe is an apparent magnitude (luminosity), and we convert to a 'distance' from an estimated absolute magnitude (the 'standard candle').
When they give the redshift as a function of the scale factor, is this the same as saying that early photons had to climb out of a deeper gravitational well because the universe was more dense back then? I'm not sure whether they are assuming a linear relationship between redshift and distance. Thanks.

meteor said:
The section treating BBN is quite interesting. It has cleared me some doubts that i had about the deuterium bottleneck, and is always great to remember how Hoyle solved the puzzle of the production of heavy elements with his "triple alpha process". Hoyle was a great astrophysicist. I'm afraid that his involvement in the Steady State model has always been like a dark shadow over his career
Fred Hoyle was a fine physicist. His attachment to the steady state model was quite reasonable given the observational evidence at the time. I never considered that a stain on his reputation.

What is a "State of the universe address"?

A "State of the universe address" is a term used to describe a public lecture or presentation given by scientists or researchers to discuss the current understanding and state of the universe. It typically covers topics such as the history of the universe, current theories and research, and future directions in the field of cosmology.

Who gives a "State of the universe address"?

A "State of the universe address" is usually given by a prominent scientist or researcher in the field of cosmology, such as an astrophysicist or astronomer. They are often invited to give these addresses at conferences, universities, or other scientific institutions.

What is the purpose of a "State of the universe address"?

The purpose of a "State of the universe address" is to inform the public and other scientists about the current understanding and advancements in our understanding of the universe. It also serves to spark interest and discussion about the topic and inspire future research.

What topics are typically covered in a "State of the universe address"?

Topics covered in a "State of the universe address" may include the Big Bang theory, the expansion of the universe, dark matter and dark energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the search for extraterrestrial life. The specific topics may vary depending on the speaker and the purpose of the address.

How often is a "State of the universe address" given?

A "State of the universe address" is typically given once a year at major scientific conferences or events. However, some institutions or organizations may host these addresses more frequently, such as every few months or as new discoveries and advancements are made in the field.