How to Convert Mechanical System Equations to State Space Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the state space representation of an equation set for a motor with a load. The desired X array is defined as [QL;QL';Qm;Qm'] and the A and B matrices are also defined. The X1' and X3' elements are known, and the remaining X2' and X4' elements are solved using equations 1 and 2, respectively. The B matrix will only have one nonzero element due to the presence of only one input in equation 2.
zoom1
JL*QL'' + BL*QL' + k(QL - Qm) = 0
Jm*Qm'' + Bm*Qm' - k(QL - Qm) = u

This is the equation set I have for a motor with a load.
QL'' means second derivative and QL' means first derivative.

I need to be able to obtain the state space representation of this model where X = [QL;QL';Qm;Qm'] (This is of course a column array)

I tried my best but couldn't obtain it.
Started off with QL' = [-JL*QL'' - k(QL - Qm)]/BL

But when I try to represent this, I don't have the QL'' term in my state variable array X, so couldn't proceed further.

How am I supposed to approach this problem ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
as you are most likely aware, state space representation is usually of the form

X'=A*X+B
Y=C*X+D

your first goal is to define your X array.
then you need to define your A and B matrix.

I would define each element of your X array.
SO you already stated
QL = X1
QL' =X2
Qm=X3
Qm'=X4

so right off the bat you know X1'=X2 and X3'=X4, that gives you half of your A matrix

So you need to find your A matrix rows for X2' and X4'.

So use equation one to solve for X2', then use equation 2 to solve for X4'. as you can see there is only one input which is in equation 2, so there will only be one nonzero element in the B matrix.

donpacino said:
as you are most likely aware, state space representation is usually of the form

X'=A*X+B
Y=C*X+D

your first goal is to define your X array.
then you need to define your A and B matrix.

I would define each element of your X array.
SO you already stated
QL = X1
QL' =X2
Qm=X3
Qm'=X4

so right off the bat you know X1'=X2 and X3'=X4, that gives you half of your A matrix

So you need to find your A matrix rows for X2' and X4'.

So use equation one to solve for X2', then use equation 2 to solve for X4'. as you can see there is only one input which is in equation 2, so there will only be one nonzero element in the B matrix.

Perfect !

Thanks a lot

1. What is a state space representation?

A state space representation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior and evolution of a system over time. It represents the system as a set of variables and their relationships, allowing for the analysis and prediction of the system's future behavior.

2. What are the advantages of using state space representation?

State space representation allows for a systematic and rigorous approach to analyzing systems, making it easier to identify and understand complex behaviors. It also allows for the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as control theory and optimization to design and improve systems.

3. How is a state space representation different from other modeling techniques?

State space representation differs from other modeling techniques such as differential equations or transfer functions in that it can represent both continuous and discrete systems. It also allows for the inclusion of external inputs and disturbances, making it more versatile for modeling real-world systems.

4. What types of systems can be represented using state space representation?

A wide range of systems can be represented using state space representation, including mechanical, electrical, and biological systems. It is also commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and social sciences to model complex systems and phenomena.

5. How is state space representation related to control theory?

State space representation is closely related to control theory, which is the study of how to manipulate systems to achieve desired behaviors. In fact, state space representation is often used as a starting point for designing control systems, as it provides a comprehensive understanding of the system's dynamics and allows for the use of control techniques such as state feedback and optimal control.