Statement of Intent to Register Deadlines

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the predicament of the individual who has received acceptances from some universities but is still waiting for decisions from others. The SIR deadline is approaching and it is not a good idea to accept one offer and then withdraw later. It is suggested to ask for an extension from Georgia Tech if needed, but it is important to keep in contact with all universities and consider other options such as deferring admission or late registration.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
It seems fairly universal that universities have around April 15th as their intent to register deadlines. I've received acceptances to a couple of schools I'm not very interested in attending, but I am still waiting on 3 schools I am interested in attending. However, obviously, the deadline for SIRs is coming up. I know it is not a good idea to say you'll attend one school, find out another better school accepted you, and withdraw your intent to register at the first school.

So obviously I am in a predicament! I was accepted at Georgia Tech, but I'm waiting for decisions from UC Irvine, UC Davis, and UT Austin. I doubt I'll get into Austin, but the two UCs are the ones that are giving me worry. The two UCs and Georgia Tech aren't exactly worlds apart in terms of quality as far as I know so I do not want to assume I didn't get into either of them.

Let's say I get wait-listed. What happens when the SIR deadline comes around? It seems like a gamble! Is it inappropriate to ask Georgia Tech "Hey, I have too many universities I'm still waiting for decisions for, could you give me an extension on the SIR deadline"? I know it puts a burden on them, but would this be a realistic question to pose to them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is definitely a difficult situation, and it can be tough to make the right decision. Unfortunately, it is likely that the SIR deadline will come before you receive a decision from all the schools to which you have applied. It is not unreasonable to ask Georgia Tech for an extension on the SIR deadline if you are still waiting for decisions from other universities. However, keep in mind that they may not be able to accommodate your request. In this case, you may want to consider discussing your options with them, such as deferring your admission or requesting a late registration. It is also important to keep in contact with the other universities you are still waiting to hear from so that you can make an informed decision when the time comes. Good luck!

1. What is a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) deadline?

A Statement of Intent to Register deadline is a deadline set by universities for admitted students to confirm their intention to enroll in the institution. It is a formal declaration that you will attend the university and is usually accompanied by a deposit or fee.

2. Why is it important to submit a SIR by the deadline?

Submitting a SIR by the deadline is important because it secures your spot at the university. If you miss the deadline, your spot may be given to another student on the waitlist. Additionally, some universities may offer housing and financial aid on a first-come, first-served basis, so submitting your SIR by the deadline ensures you have access to these resources.

3. How do I submit my SIR?

The process for submitting a SIR varies by university. Some may have an online portal for you to submit your SIR and make the necessary deposit or fee payment. Others may require you to submit a physical form and payment through mail. It is important to carefully read the instructions provided by the university to ensure you are submitting your SIR correctly and on time.

4. Can I change my mind after submitting a SIR?

In most cases, you can change your mind after submitting a SIR. However, you may lose your deposit or fee if you decide not to attend the university. Additionally, some universities may have a specific deadline for changing your decision, so it is important to carefully consider your options before submitting your SIR.

5. What happens if I miss the SIR deadline?

If you miss the SIR deadline, your spot at the university may be given to another student on the waitlist. However, some universities may offer a grace period or allow you to submit a late SIR for an additional fee. It is best to contact the university directly to inquire about their policies for late SIR submissions.