Understanding the States and Charges of Mercury

• Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mercury
In summary, mercury can exist in monatomic form as well as ionized forms, but individual ions typically only exist in solution. The correct equation for the reaction mentioned is 2 I-(aq) + Hg22+(aq) --> Hg2I2. The "higher" mercury ion, Hg22+, is used in certain reactions and is eventually reduced to its metallic form.
Whalstib
Hi,

Please explain the states/charges of mercury for me.

Is this right: There is Hg which is 2+ charge and there is Hg<sub>2</sub> which is also 2+ charged. One would never find the monatomic Hg alone is nature only as diatomic Hg<sub>2</sub> but Hg could be found as a single atom in a compound (any of which escape me at the moment).

I compose this as I attempt a simple eqn.:
2I + Hg2->Hg2I2

Hg2 being diatomic is it always designated as (1)Hg2 ion or as 2Hg atoms in such an equation...

BTW Allergy medicine makes chemistry more challenging...Achoo!...sniff...scratch etc...

Thanks,

Warren

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. I believe that mercury, as a metal, can exist in monatomic (or as monatomic as any metallic lattice is) atoms, as well as in the two ionized forms you mentioned. However, it is true you will not find single Hg+ ions. They do tend to pair up.

However, individual ions exist, usually, only in solution, and cannot be said to be "-atomic".

You have the correct equation. Let me clean it up a bit.

2 I-(aq) + Hg22+(aq) --> Hg2I2

I believe... just checked, and the "higher" mercury ion is used, as mercuric acetate, to add water to an alkene in Markovnikov configuration. The mercury is apparently reduced to its metallic form over the course of the reaction.

1. What are the different states of mercury?

Mercury has three main states: solid, liquid, and gas. At standard temperature and pressure, it is a liquid. When cooled to -38.83 degrees Celsius, it becomes a solid. At temperatures above 356.73 degrees Celsius, it becomes a gas.

2. How does mercury change states?

Mercury changes states due to its unique properties. It has a low melting point and boiling point, which allows it to easily transition from a solid to a liquid to a gas. It also has a high vapor pressure, meaning it can easily evaporate into a gas at room temperature.

3. What are the charges of mercury?

Mercury has two common charges: +1 and +2. In its elemental form, it has a charge of 0. However, it can also form compounds with other elements, leading to a charge of +1 or +2 depending on the number of electrons it loses or gains.

4. What is the most common charge of mercury in its compounds?

The most common charge of mercury in its compounds is +2. This is because mercury typically loses two electrons when forming compounds, resulting in a +2 charge. However, it can also form compounds with a +1 charge in certain situations.

5. What is the most stable charge of mercury?

The most stable charge of mercury is +2. This is because it is the most common charge in its compounds and is the most energetically favorable for the element. It is also the most stable charge when considering its electron configuration and the stability of its compounds.