Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

States Of Matter

1. ..

0 vote(s)
  2. ..

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    States Of Matter....

Just out of interest as I am compiling a list of the states of matter & their properties can someone please clear up the age old dispute;

How Many States Of Matter Are There?

If you could state the number with what (additional) states of matter, please list them and their properties.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think's a meaningful question anymore. Sure, simple materials (e.g. water) can exist as a solid, liquid, or gas. But more complicated materials don't fall into any of those clean categories- what's toothpaste, for example? (It's a viscoelastic fluid/Bingham fluid)
  4. May 15, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two main states of matter, and then some derived ones:
    - does matter
    - doesn't matter

(and then, matters a bit, a lot)...

:biggrin: :rofl: :blushing:
  5. May 15, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Matters generally divided into four categories; solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. That fourth category, plasma, is debated by some who claim that it is merely a special condition of the gaseous state.

The existence of neutron stars and the proposed existence of Quark stars, along with the discovery of BEC's (Bose-Einstein Condensates) suggest that there are many more states of matter of which we are not aware, simply because they do not concur in our everyday experience.
  6. May 15, 2008 #5
    What About Bose-Einstein Condensate (First Observed in 1995)
    or Liquid Crystal
    or Fermionic Condensate
  7. May 15, 2008 #6
    How does Planck matter grab ya? The false vacuum? Dark energy? Strings and branes?
  8. May 16, 2008 #7
    I guess there are two states; one where it is matter and one where it is energy.

9. Oct 24, 2011 #8
    Re: States Of Matter....

I will just list how much I know off the top of my head. There are solids, liquids, gases, plasma, Bose-Einstien Condensates, Fermionic Condensates, superfluids, beam, thought wave (is this real? I've never found proof), quark-gluon plasma, supersolids, string-net liquids, superglass, and dark matter. I'm not positive about these, so if I made any mistakes, please correct me.
  10. Oct 24, 2011 #9
    Re: States Of Matter....

That's so awesome. When you are completed with this arduous task please forward a copy of it to me. I want to help, too. What's your email? Should I just post it up on megaupload or rapidshare or something?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?