Static and kinetic friction of a crate

In summary, a dockworker loading crates on a ship finds that a 20kg crate, initially at rest on a horizontal surface, requires a 75-N horizontal force to set it in motion. However, after the crate is in motion, a horizontal force of 60-N is required to keep it moving with a constant speed. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the crate and floor can be found by using the formula μ = F/N, where F is the friction force and N is the normal force. The normal force, which is equal to the weight of the crate, is used to calculate both coefficients. The maximum static friction force, 75 N, is used to calculate the static friction coefficient, while the kinetic friction force
dcangulo
a dockworker loading crates on a ship finds that a 20kg. crate, intially at rest on a horizontal surface, requires a 75-N horizontal force to set it in motion. However, after the crate is in motion, a horizontal force of 60-N is required to keep it moving with a constant speed. Find the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between crate and floor.

how do i find the coefficients? there is a table in the book with coefficients but it doesn't have one with wood on floor.

Physics news on Phys.org
K + U = K_o + U_o

what is k,u,k_o,u_o ?

dcangulo said:
how do i find the coefficients? there is a table in the book with coefficients but it doesn't have one with wood on floor.
You're supposed to solve for the coefficients using the information given in the problem, not look them up in some table.

Hint: How does static and kinetic friction relate to the normal force?

[tex]\mu[/tex]=f/N

where N is the normal force and f would be the 20kg?

Last edited:
dcangulo said:
[tex]\mu[/tex]=f/N
Good. But realize there's a difference between static and kinetic friction.

where N is the normal force and f would be the 20kg?
N is the normal force. What does the normal force equal? Hint: It's related to the 20 kg mass.

f is the friction force. Hint: The static and kinetic friction forces are given in the problem statement.

You need to solve for the two values of friction. Static friction being the frictional force that one must "overcome" to put the object into motion, and kinetic friction being the frictional force that must be "overcome" to sustain the objects motion.

ok so what i did was find the normal force of the static friction which i believe was N=mg which is N=20(9.8) and then i did the little [tex]\mu[/tex]=f/N with [tex]\mu[/tex]=75/196

and that found me, what i believe to be the static friction.

Now how do i find kinetic friction coefficient??

dcangulo said:
ok so what i did was find the normal force of the static friction which i believe was N=mg which is N=20(9.8) and then i did the little [tex]\mu[/tex]=f/N with [tex]\mu[/tex]=75/196

and that found me, what i believe to be the static friction.
Good! The normal force is just the weight of the crate. The maximum static friction force was given as 75 N. You combined those facts to find the static friction coefficient.

Now how do i find kinetic friction coefficient??
Exactly the same way. What's the kinetic friction force? Does the normal force change?

i think kinetic friction force is 60... or do i subtract 75-60 and that'll give me the kinetic friction??

this is what i did

75-f[tex]_{}s[/tex]=0
f[tex]_{}s[/tex]=75

this is the only thing i can think of

dcangulo said:
i think kinetic friction force is 60...
Right.
or do i subtract 75-60 and that'll give me the kinetic friction??
No. Kinetic and static friction are two different things, so don't combine them.

But you calculate the coefficient of friction in the exact same manner for both:
μ = F/N, where F is the friction force and N is the normal force.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is at rest. In the case of a crate, static friction occurs when the crate is not moving and is being pushed or pulled.

2. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion. In the case of a crate, kinetic friction occurs when the crate is sliding or being dragged.

3. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object. The coefficient of friction varies depending on the materials and surfaces in contact.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction on a crate?

The amount of friction on a crate is affected by the weight of the crate, the type and roughness of the surface it is on, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface. Additionally, the angle of the surface and the force applied to the crate can also impact the amount of friction.

5. How can friction be minimized on a crate?

Friction on a crate can be minimized by using a lubricant on the surface it is on, reducing the weight of the crate, or using smoother materials for the crate and the surface. Additionally, reducing the force applied to the crate and keeping it on a flat surface can also help minimize friction.