1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static and Kinetic Friction

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    1. Comment on the difference (if any) between the slopes of the lines of best fit and the tangents of the angles of incline.
    In my data i got that the static friction slope was 4N/kg and the kinetic was 2.2N/kg. and i think that we're supposed to divide that number by the gravitaional field intesity of 9.8 m/s [down] (0.408-static) and (0.488-kinetic) then compare it to the tan which i got 0.488-static and 0.344 for kinetic and when i calculated percent difference i got 18%(static) and 42%(kinetic).
    So, what comments should i say?

2. Relevant equations

3. I think that the static is bigger because it takes more force because of the bonded ground to the block that we made slide down a plank of wood. and then when its moving its easier so the kinetic is easier. =(
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2
    sorrrry it was my first time.
    i kind of messed up the stuff.

1. Comment on the difference (if any) between the slopes of the lines of best fit and the tangents of the angles of incline.
    In my data i got that the static friction slope was 4N/kg and the kinetic was 2.2N/kg. and i think that we're supposed to divide that number by the gravitaional field intesity of 9.8 m/s [down] (0.408-static) and (0.488-kinetic) then compare it to the tan which i got 0.488-static and 0.344 for kinetic and when i calculated percent difference i got 18%(static) and 42%(kinetic).
    So, what comments should i say?

3. I think that the static is bigger because it takes more force because of the bonded ground to the block that we made slide down a plank of wood. and then when its moving its easier so the kinetic is smaller. =(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?