Static and Kinetic Friction

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the static and kinetic friction of an object on a certain surface using a modified Atwood's machine. They have obtained the following results: 360g for static mass and 250g for kinetic mass, with a 1 kg mass on the table. They mention an equation for finding the normal reaction and ask for the expression for the frictional force. They also mention that they are unsure about their calculation of 9.8m/s^2 and provide an expression for the static coefficient of friction.
krazy19812
Hey guys, I am having a little brain fart here, any help? Easy stuff

Im trying to find the static and kinetic friction of an object on a certain surface. We used a modified atwood's machine and got the following results:

Static mass required: 360g
Kinetic mass required: 250g

The mass on the table was 1 kg.

Can someone help me out? and i would love to see some work also..

Physics news on Phys.org
Also here is some spitballing i have been doing

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=F[tex]_{N}[/tex]-F[tex]_{G}[/tex]=0
=> F[tex]_{N}[/tex]=F[tex]_{G}[/tex]= ma

I got 9.8m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]? not sure if that's right

Can you write down the expression for the frictional force?

rl.bhat said:
Can you write down the expression for the frictional force?

[tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]ma

i believe it is where mu sub s is the static coefficient

Mass is on the table and weight is hanging. Is it so?
In the given problem, what is the frictional force? And what is the normal reaction?

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two objects from moving relative to each other when a force is applied. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts between two moving objects in contact with each other.

How is the magnitude of static friction determined?

The magnitude of static friction is determined by the coefficient of static friction, which is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact. The rougher the surfaces, the greater the coefficient of static friction and thus, the greater the force required to move the objects.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the relative speed between the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

How does friction impact the motion of objects?

Friction can either help or hinder the motion of objects. In the case of static friction, it can prevent objects from slipping or sliding. In the case of kinetic friction, it can slow down or stop the motion of moving objects.

Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by using smoother surfaces. It cannot be completely eliminated, as it is a fundamental force that is necessary for objects to maintain contact with each other.