How could I build a device to release the static charge of a capacitor by flipping a switch? I Would like to use a 9V battery and a 100uf 330V camera flash capacitor. Set a SPDT to a charge mode, wait, flip switch to discharge and see spark jump across a gap. What should I make the gap out of? Thanks
If you wish to check capacitors for self charge, get some old used capacitors.
Let the capacitors sit open circuit for several days.
Place a high impedance voltmeter across the capacitors. The voltmeter should read a voltage and the voltage should decrease as the capacitor discharges.
If testing large high voltage capacitors, be careful, they can charge up to dangerous voltages.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving