Can capacitors self charge in a circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a static charge residing on a capacitor in a powered circuit, and how capacitors can self charge. The use of a switch to release the static charge is also mentioned, with caution given for high voltage capacitors.
pandu
Dear All
Suppose there is a powered on circuit which consists of a capacitor.Can a static charge come and reside on the capacitor which is working in the circuit ?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Capacitors can self charge.
You can short a capacitor, remove the short and some time later (hours, days, weeks or maybe months) the capacitor will self charge to some voltage.

High voltage, high power capacitors should have a wire shorting the capacitor when not in use.

How could I build a device to release the static charge of a capacitor by flipping a switch? I Would like to use a 9V battery and a 100uf 330V camera flash capacitor. Set a SPDT to a charge mode, wait, flip switch to discharge and see spark jump across a gap. What should I make the gap out of? Thanks

Some capacitors self charge and some don't

My experience has been with film type capacitors.

If you wish to check capacitors for self charge, get some old used capacitors.
Let the capacitors sit open circuit for several days.
Place a high impedance voltmeter across the capacitors. The voltmeter should read a voltage and the voltage should decrease as the capacitor discharges.

If testing large high voltage capacitors, be careful, they can charge up to dangerous voltages.

1. What is a static charge?

A static charge is an electric charge that is stationary or not moving. It can be positive or negative and can be created through friction, induction, or contact with other charged objects.

2. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a device used to store electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the plates, charge is stored on them, creating an electric field between the plates.

3. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, the positive charges collect on one plate while the negative charges collect on the other plate. This creates an electric field between the plates, storing the charge. The insulating material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing across and discharging the capacitor.

4. What are the uses of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of uses, including storing energy in electronic circuits, filtering out unwanted signals, and smoothing out fluctuations in power supply. They are also used in electric motors, audio equipment, and cameras.

5. How can I discharge a capacitor?

A capacitor can be discharged by connecting the two plates together, allowing the charges to flow across and neutralize each other. It is important to discharge a capacitor before handling it, as it can still hold a charge even when not connected to a power source.