Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Charge Photons

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    What is the frequency/wavelength of the photons which mediates the forces between static charges? Are they exclusively low frequency photons, or is there a distribution of some kind? Also, in a slightly related question, is there a lower bound for photon frequency?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… where's my flak jacket … ?

Hi ObsessiveMathsFreak! :smile:

'spect I'll get shot down for this, but …

I think they're just in mathematicians' imaginations … they help to simplify the perturbative expansion of the field … they have all possible frequencies and speeds … they're virtual photons, and virtual means not real, so they don't exist!
    :redface: … runs for cover … :redface:
  4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    Wouldn't it depend on the energy that is actually exchanged in the interaction? For example, I think you could just determine the kinetic energy involved in the "collision" of two electrons, depending on their momentum, and using E=hf find the frequency of the virtual photon involved. Am I wrong?

I've wondered this myself, or rather, wondered about the opposite question - is there an upper bound? Would it be a photon with a wave length equal to a Planck length? That'd be a very high energy photon!
  5. Mar 25, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can do that - and the momentum of the photon is always larger than its energy, which means it's always faster than light.

In fact, in the centre-of-mass frame of reference, the photon travels infinitely fast (I think this is why people talk of the "exchange" of a photon)!

(Though I don't know how you'd work out the frequency. :confused:)

Another reason for my not believing in them! :smile:
  6. Mar 25, 2008 #5
    And yet we do know that the EM force is transmitted _at_ the speed of light. So there is indeed something that is exchanged at a finite speed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?