Static Charge Photons: Frequency & Wavelength

In summary, the frequency/wavelength of the photons that mediate forces between static charges are virtual photons, meaning they do not actually exist in reality. They can have all possible frequencies and speeds, and their momentum is always larger than their energy. In the centre-of-mass frame, the photon travels infinitely fast and is exchanged between particles, but its frequency is unknown. There is no lower bound for photon frequency, but there may be an upper bound at the Planck length. The force is transmitted at the speed of light, indicating a finite speed for the exchange of photons.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
What is the frequency/wavelength of the photons which mediates the forces between static charges? Are they exclusively low frequency photons, or is there a distribution of some kind? Also, in a slightly related question, is there a lower bound for photon frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
… where's my flak jacket … ?

Hi ObsessiveMathsFreak! :smile:

'spect I'll get shot down for this, but …

I think they're just in mathematicians' imaginations … they help to simplify the perturbative expansion of the field … they have all possible frequencies and speeds … they're virtual photons, and virtual means not real, so they don't exist!
:redface: … runs for cover … :redface:

Wouldn't it depend on the energy that is actually exchanged in the interaction? For example, I think you could just determine the kinetic energy involved in the "collision" of two electrons, depending on their momentum, and using E=hf find the frequency of the virtual photon involved. Am I wrong?

Also, in a slightly related question, is there a lower bound for photon frequency?
I've wondered this myself, or rather, wondered about the opposite question - is there an upper bound? Would it be a photon with a wave length equal to a Planck length? That'd be a very high energy photon!

peter0302 said:
For example, I think you could just determine the kinetic energy involved in the "collision" of two electrons, depending on their momentum, and using E=hf find the frequency of the virtual photon involved. Am I wrong?

Yes, you can do that - and the momentum of the photon is always larger than its energy, which means it's always faster than light.

In fact, in the centre-of-mass frame of reference, the photon travels infinitely fast (I think this is why people talk of the "exchange" of a photon)!

(Though I don't know how you'd work out the frequency. :confused:)

Another reason for my not believing in them! :smile:

And yet we do know that the EM force is transmitted _at_ the speed of light. So there is indeed something that is exchanged at a finite speed.

1. What is static charge?

Static charge is a type of electric charge that accumulates on the surface of an object due to the movement of electrons. It is different from current electricity, which flows through a conductor.

2. What are photons?

Photons are particles of light that carry energy and have no mass. They are the fundamental units of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How are static charge and photons related?

Static charge and photons are both forms of electromagnetic energy. When an object becomes charged, it creates an electric field, which can interact with photons and cause them to move or change direction.

4. What is frequency and wavelength in relation to static charge photons?

Frequency refers to the number of times a photon oscillates per second, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a photon's wave. These properties determine the energy and behavior of a photon.

5. How can we measure the frequency and wavelength of static charge photons?

The frequency and wavelength of static charge photons can be measured using various instruments, such as a spectrometer or a laser interferometer. These devices can detect and analyze the properties of photons to determine their frequency and wavelength.