1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static coefficient versus kinetic coefficient of friction

1. Jun 3, 2004 #1
    I have a lab question that I'm confused about:

What can you say about acceleration if the:

a) static coefficient = kinetic coefficient = 0
    b) static coefficient = kinetic coefficient does not equal 0
    c) static coefficient is greater than kinetic coefficient

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm also confused, as I have no idea what lab you're doing. Is something rolling on a hill, up, down, or on a level surface? What exactly are you having problems with, etc, etc...?

4. Jun 3, 2004 #3

The first one sounds as if it should be a frictionless surface (ie no friction).

For the answers, are you looking for stuff like, the object is accelerating, deccelerating, or the object is at rest? I'm not sure what kind of answer you are looking for, but it seems to me if the 0 < kinetic = static, I would think the object is accelerating and for the last one, I would think the object would slow down until coming to a rest or something like that.

Does that sound right to anyone else?

5. Jun 4, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I interpret this question to mean:
    Suppose an object is initially at rest on a (horizontal) surface.
    What can you say about the acceleration of the object, when a sufficiently strong force to accelerate it is applied to to the object?

a) An arbitrarily small force may be applied in order to accelerate it;
    the resulting acceleration will also be arbitrarily small.
    b) The sufficient force must satisfy [tex]F>\mu_{s}N[/tex] in order to accelerate the object.
    We set [tex]F=\mu_{s}N+\delta{F}[/tex], where [tex]\delta{F}[/tex] can be an arbitrarily small force.
    We have, since [tex]\mu_{k}=\mu_{s}[/tex] that the net force on the object, is [tex]\delta{F}[/tex] ; i.e. the resulting acceleration can be made as small as one wish for.

c) The net force is now:
    [tex](\mu_{s}-\mu_{k})N+\delta{F}[/tex] that is, the minimum initial acceleration is [tex]a_{min}=(\mu_{s}-\mu_{k})g[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?