1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Electricity Lab

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What should happen to the electrons in a insulated metal object when a negatively charged plastic rod is brought near the insulated metal

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought the electrons will repel each other and the insulated object will move away from the rod but I dont think I'm right can someone back me up on this and explain their answer for my question

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Electrons are free to move in the metal. They will be repelled by the charge on the rod as you say, but they will move on the metal, causing a charge separation. There will be repulsion of the negative charges gathered on one side and attraction of the positive charge leftover on the other side. You'll have to have your wits about you to figure out which force is stronger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook