1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static electricity question

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1
    Tomorrow I have to do a demo in physics regarding static electricity. I am going to rub a comb against the inside of my sweatshirt and then attract tissue paper to it. I don't understand how to explain why this happens.

Is the comb neutral at first, then when you rub it to the sweatshirt it gains electrons and has a negative charge? Is the tissue paper a positive charge because opposites attract? Please explain this to me if I am wrong. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

polarization force

That's right.
    The tissue paper is neutral (no net charge), but the field from the charged comb polarizes the atoms in the paper. Since the positive charges in the paper are closer to the negative comb than the negative charges are, there is a net attractive force (called a polarization force) between the paper and the comb.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?