1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static electricity

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When I rub an object against another object, will the electron transfer always be fixed? As in, the object from which the electrons flow will always be the same object or will the objects swap roles? Why?

2. Relevant equations
    No equations required for answering this question. But if there are any please point it out to me!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I always had the idea that it was due to the material of the objects that decided the flow of electrons.
    For example, a comb and silk.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2
    For a pair of objects it will always be the same. Thats because its easier for some objects to donate electrons and easier for some to accept electrons. Its a property of the matter the object's made of.

Like, for example, its easier for metals to donate electrons, and elements like chlorine, oxygen etc, to accept electrons. If a positive charge is present on an oxygen atom, it does anything it can to get rid of the positive charge. Similarly, if a negative charge is present on lithium, it will do anything it can to get rid of the negative charge.

4. Apr 4, 2007 #3
    This reminds me of my GCSE Chemistry course. Eugh.

5. Apr 7, 2007 #4
    chaoseverlasting: hey thanks.
    Tim09: Chemistry course? What'd your response be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?