1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium: A 1380 N uniform boom of length ℓ is supported by a cable

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1380 N uniform boom of length ℓ is supported by a cable, as shown. The boom is pivoted at the bottom, the cable is attached a distance 3/4ℓ from the pivot, and a 3604N weight hangs from the boom’s top. Find the tension of the cable.

here is a picture of the diagram
    24.media.tumblr(dot)com/tumblr_m3f8sxRH7H1qdg2z1o1_400.jpg[/PLAIN]

2. Relevant equations

I know that the sum of the forces in the x direction is 0 and the sum of the forces in the y direction is also 0. I am having issues understanding this concept and I dont understand how to even start this.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive tried buy getting the forces in the x and y direction but it seems as though I should be able to find the tension of the cable without finding these first. One thing that is throwing me off is the fact they dont give and actual length to the rod.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2
    What is the actual question? Find the tension in the cable?

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Yes, sorry forgot to paste that bit.

5. May 2, 2012 #4
    You should be able to find it fairly easily if you sum of the torques in the system. This should give you a solvable system of equations. They give you the length of the rod, it's total length is L.

6. May 2, 2012 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook