Static Equilibrium and tension of a beam

In summary, a uniform beam of weight 520 N and length 3.4 m is suspended horizontally with a hinge on the left and a cable on the right. The least tension that will snap the cable is 1200 N. To find the value of D corresponding to this tension, one must use the equation \Sigma\tau = 3.4m(520N) + ?. The beam is subject to gravity and the tension from the cable, and a free body diagram must be drawn to determine the forces acting on it. The sum of all the torques must be set equal to zero for the beam to be in equilibrium, with the force at the hinge having horizontal and vertical components Fx and Fy.
G-reg

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a uniform beam of weight 520 N and length 3.4 m is suspended horizontally. On the left it is hinged to a wall; on the right is it supported by a cable bolted to the wall at distance D above the beam. The least tension that will snap the cable is 1200 N.

What value of D corresponds to that tension?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma\tau[/tex] = 3.4m(520N) + ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what to put in after what I have put in already.
I know it's conservation of torque but that's about it..

Physics news on Phys.org
At what point on the beam does gravity act? Draw a free body diagram and put in all the forces. Then say that the sum of all the torques is zero.

I know that gravity acts on the beam at 1.7m but I'm not seeing how I'm supposed to set the sum of the torques equal to zero..but that's probably because I'm not sure what forces are acting upon the beam besides gravity and the tension from the cable.

There is a force at the hinge that has horizontal and vertical components Fx and Fy. If you calculate torques about the hinge, they do not contribute to the net torque. However gravity and the tension must exert equal and opposite torques about the hinge if this beam is to be in equilibrium.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object or system is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net force or acceleration.

How does tension affect the equilibrium of a beam?

Tension is one of the forces that can act on a beam and affects its equilibrium by pulling on the ends of the beam. If the tension force is equal on both sides, the beam will remain in static equilibrium.

What is the formula for calculating tension in a beam?

The formula for calculating tension in a beam is T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object attached to the beam, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Can tension ever be negative in a beam?

No, tension can never be negative in a beam. It is always a positive force that acts in the direction of the tension member.

How can the tension in a beam be changed?

The tension in a beam can be changed by altering the force applied to the beam, changing the mass of the object attached to the beam, or adjusting the angle at which the beam is suspended.