Solving Static Equilibrium Problem in 3D: P=50N, Ay=108.8, Cy=58.1, By=32.4

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 3D object and two forces acting on it in the x-z projection. The speaker is struggling to find the equilibrium in all directions and mentions that P is equal to 50N. They provide equations for potential reverse engineering and conclude that there are n equations and n unknowns in the problem.
architenginee
Been working on this problem

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiphoto77/6179533925
(SEE LINK FOR PHOTO OF PROBLEM)

for quite some time now, and the components don't quite add up for me so I am just a tad exasperated... In the x-z projection, I see two forces acting along the x-axis---one being 100cos15 in the -x direction, and the other being Pcos30 in the +x direction. Naturally, all projections of this 3d object should provide equilibrium in all directions. I know that P is equal to 50N, but it just doesn't add up when i take the sum of forces in the xdirection for the x-z projection. Help!

For potential reverse engineering purposes, the solution to the problem is P=50N, Ay=108.8, Cy=58.1 and By=32.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
∑Fx = 0
∑Fy = 0
∑Fz = 0

∑Torques about x-axis (thru C) = 0
∑Torques about z axis (thru B) = 0
∑Torques about z axis (thru A) = 0

One of the last two equations may turn out to be redundant.

Anyway, that should give you n equations and n unknowns.

What is static equilibrium in 3D?

Static equilibrium in 3D refers to the state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. This means that there is no net force or torque acting on the object, causing it to remain in a fixed position.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state of balance in which an object is not moving, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state of balance in which an object is moving at a constant velocity. In static equilibrium, the net force and torque on an object are zero, while in dynamic equilibrium, the net force and torque are not necessarily zero, but they are balanced.

What are the conditions for static equilibrium in 3D?

The conditions for static equilibrium in 3D are that the net force on the object must be zero and the net torque on the object must also be zero. This means that all forces acting on the object must cancel out and there must be no rotational force acting on the object.

How is static equilibrium in 3D different from static equilibrium in 2D?

Static equilibrium in 3D is similar to static equilibrium in 2D in that both require the net force and net torque to be zero. However, in 3D, there are three dimensions to consider, so the forces and torques must be balanced in all three dimensions. In 2D, there are only two dimensions to consider, so the forces and torques must be balanced in those two dimensions only.

What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium in 3D?

Some real-life examples of static equilibrium in 3D include a book sitting on a table, a building standing on its foundation, and a person standing still on the ground. In all of these cases, the forces and torques acting on the objects are balanced, resulting in a state of static equilibrium.