Static equilibrium: setting up the equation

In summary: For M2, you wrote that the gravitational force component in the X direction (normal to the wire here, right?) is Mg cos(30), the slope of the wire to the horizontal being 60 degrees. A thought experiment: if the slope had been 90 degrees, what would the normal component have been? What would cos(90-slope) give you?Going to start over on this problem fresh, but I am currious...is there a way to find theta before tension is found?
xxglamisxx

Homework Statement

A rigid wire frame is formed in a right triangle, and set in a vertical plane as shown. Two beads, of weight W1 = 1.5 N and W2 = 2.5 N, slide without friction on the wires, and are connected by a cord. When the system is in static equilibrium, what is the tension in the cord, and what angle does it make with the first wire?[/B]
media%2F917%2F91704cae-0f69-4ed3-a7cd-f67f36e0d5b8%2FphpDDMkIA.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xxglamisxx. You must show a solution attempt before any help can be given.

What have you tried? What equations have you written? What principles do think are involved?

well I start with a FBD for each mass and and rotate the Cartesian coordinates so that the y-axis is along the sides of the triangle for each mass and the x-axis follows the normal force. I sum the x and y components to zero solving for either the normal force or tension force. I begin to have trouble because idk if there is a way to find theta before tension is found, but when i try to find tension, i have a bit of trouble relating the two masses to each other, ie: ending up with too many unknown (at least i think) variables.

when i try solving for T i end up with a sin(theta) or cos(theta) without having an actual angle, and i don't believe there is enough information given to use the arc trig functions to find theta.

any help is appreciated

thanks

If you end up with two equations with two unknowns then you should be doing alright.

Can you show us the equations that you've obtained from the FBD's?

gneill said:
If you end up with two equations with two unknowns then you should be doing alright.

Can you show us the equations that you've obtained from the FBD's?
Sure.

Note: angle phi referenced below is the angle between horizontal and our tension cable on the right.

for M1 i have:

sum of forces in the x: N(sub1) = -G(sub1)cos(30) + T(sub1)sin(phi)

sum of forces in the y: T(sub1) = (G(sub1)cos(30)) / (sin(phi)M2

sum of forces in the x: N(sub2) = G(sub2)cos(30) + T(sub2)cos(phi)

sum of forces in the y: T(sub2) = (-G(sub2)sin(30)) / (sin(phi)

I'm not sure why you've introduced the angle phi. Surely it would be best to stick with the given angle θ since that's what you're meant to find. But regardless, what have you chosen as your x and y-axis directions? I'm trying to figure out where the 30° angle reference is coming from in your two sets of equations. Perhaps you can post a picture?

let me see what i can do about the picture, as for the X and Y axis, each mass has its own. The one on the left, M1, has its Y axis along the left leg of the triangle, and M2 has its Y axis along the right leg of the triangle, the X's are perpendicular to their respective Y axis

phi was introduced, just as a place holder

gneill said:
I'm not sure why you've introduced the angle phi. Surely it would be best to stick with the given angle θ since that's what you're meant to find. But regardless, what have you chosen as your x and y-axis directions? I'm trying to figure out where the 30° angle reference is coming from in your two sets of equations. Perhaps you can post a picture?

going to start over on this problem fresh, but I am currious...is there a way to find theta before

gneill said:

Ok so I re wrote the problem, with FBDs for each mass, and used θ instead of phi here is a picture of what i have:
WP_20160923_003.jpg

For M1, you wrote that the gravitational force component in the X direction (normal to the wire here, right?) is Mg cos(30), the slope of the wire to the horizontal being 60 degrees. A thought experiment: if the slope had been 90 degrees, what would the normal component have been? What would cos(90-slope) give you?

Let me provide a diagram of the M1 situation that may be a bit easier to read.

upload_2016-9-23_18-53-13.png

Note that you're really only interested in the components of the forces that are directed along the wire. Forces normal to the wire can't do anything as there's no friction involved here and the wire prevents motion in that direction.

haruspex said:
For M1, you wrote that the gravitational force component in the X direction (normal to the wire here, right?) is Mg cos(30), the slope of the wire to the horizontal being 60 degrees. A thought experiment: if the slope had been 90 degrees, what would the normal component have been? What would cos(90-slope) give you?
youre right, that was a mistake on my part. to answer your question the normal force would be 0 degrees. for my x gravity component for m1 i changed it to cos 60 and respectively for the y component.

However, thanks to some guidance from @gneill i solved the problem.

method:

derived my formulas for T1 and T2, set them = to each other and used arctan to find the angle theta. from there i used my formula for t1 and plugged in theta to find the tension in the cable.

theta = 43.9, T = 1.80N

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is the state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no movement.

What is the equation for static equilibrium?

The equation for static equilibrium is ΣF = 0, which means that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero.

How do you set up the equation for static equilibrium?

To set up the equation for static equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on an object and their directions. Then, use the equation ΣF = 0 to write out the sum of all the forces and set it equal to zero.

What are some examples of objects in static equilibrium?

Some examples of objects in static equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a person standing still on the ground.

Why is static equilibrium important in science?

Static equilibrium is important in science because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object and predict its behavior. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as structures must be in static equilibrium to prevent collapse or failure.