1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium of Board

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a diving board held up by two pillars A and B, and there is a diver standing on it's edge. What are the directions of the forces exerted at points A and B? Picture Below:
    okpdG11.png
    2. Relevant equations
    F_NET = 0
    T_NET =0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought both A and B were pointed upwards since the diver is pushing downwards, but apparently B is upwards and A is downwards.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Think of a see-saw with the point B being the fulcrum. What do you see now?

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3
    Oh, wow! I see point B as pointing up now, but what about point A? If I use A as the fulcrum, doesn't that still make it point upwards in order to keep the board from rotating downwards?

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4

berkeman

B is the fulcrum. Did you never use a see-saw? :smile:

6. Apr 11, 2016 #5
    Ok, I'm still confused. Sorry. If B is the fulcrum and it's force is going upwards, I'm still not understanding how A's force is going downwards. Given the see-saw example, the diver is on one end pulling down on the end of the see-saw, and A is somehow pulling downwards even though it's on the bottom? I really appreciate the help!

7. Apr 11, 2016 #6

berkeman

What if the person sitting on the right side of the see-saw is heavier than the person sitting on the left side? What happens to the left side of the see-saw? :smile:

8. Apr 11, 2016 #7
    It goes upwards, but I don't know what happens at point A because A is on the underside of the diving board.

9. Apr 12, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Imagine taking pillar A away. Which way would the part of the board above A move?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted