Finding the Minimum Distance for Static Equilibrium with a Hanging Weight

In summary, we are trying to determine the minimum distance x from point A at which an additional weight Fg can be hung without causing the rod to slip at point A. By setting up equations for the vertical and horizontal forces to equal zero and using trigonometry to express the forces in terms of T, we can solve for x. The pivot can be placed at any point in this static problem, but it is most convenient to choose the point where the rod touches the wall.
unreal89

Homework Statement

One end of a uniform 4.00-m-long rod of weight Fg is supported by a cable. The other end rests against the wall, where it is held by friction, as in Figure below. The coefficient of static friction between the wall and the rod is s = 0.500. Determine the minimum distance x from point A at which an additional weight Fg (the same as the weight of the rod) can be hung without causing the rod to slip at point A.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16777&d=1228833076.jpg

Homework Equations

TORQUEnet = (F)1(d)1 + (F)2(d)2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming fulcrum is at the right tip of the bar
TORQUEnet = 2Fg + 4Ff - x Fg

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 791
Physics news on Phys.org
unreal89 said:
Assuming fulcrum is at the right tip of the bar
TORQUEnet = 2Fg + 4Ff - x Fg
Redo this: How far is the hanging weight from the pivot? In what direction do the torques act?

What other conditions for equilibrium must be satisfied? (And will give you additional equations.)

okay so 0 = 2Fg + 4Ff - xFg

N = Tension in X direction

Ff = N (Mu) = (tension in X)(Mu)

I don't get how to calculate tension =/

unreal89 said:
okay so 0 = 2Fg + 4Ff - xFg
As I said, you'll need to redo this.

What forces act on the beam? At the left end? At the right end?

What's the net force in any direction?

there's weight of beam, weight of sphere, tension, normal, friction.
Friction is at the left, tension at the right.
Isnt the pivot at the right end, so TORQUEnet = 0(Tension) - 2Fg + 4Ff - x Fg and TORQUEnet = 0 so that it is in equillibrium?

unreal89 said:
there's weight of beam, weight of sphere, tension, normal, friction.
Friction is at the left, tension at the right.
Good. Set up equations for the vertical and horizontal forces to equal zero.
Isnt the pivot at the right end, so TORQUEnet = 0(Tension) - 2Fg + 4Ff - x Fg and TORQUEnet = 0 so that it is in equillibrium?
x is measured from the left end.

so,

0 = -2Fg + 4Ff - (4-x)(Fg)

0 = Tx - N
0 = Ty + Ff - 2Fg

Are these correct? I have no idea where I'm going with this... should it end with a finite number or will it have variables in it?

unreal89 said:
so,

0 = -2Fg + 4Ff - (4-x)(Fg)
Good.
0 = Tx - N
0 = Ty + Ff - 2Fg
Good. Instead of using Tx & Ty, use some trig and the given angle to express it just in terms of T.

Hint: How does Ff relate to N?

By solving all these equations together, you should get a numerical answer for x.

unreal89 said:
Isnt the pivot at the right end, ...
Since this is a static problem, you can put the pivot wherever you want. I chose to put mine at the point where the rod touches the wall. Any idea why I chose it here? (There are actually two reasons.)

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is not moving and all the forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the net force and net torque on the object are both zero.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium involves no movement, while dynamic equilibrium involves constant motion at a constant speed. In dynamic equilibrium, the net force is still zero, but the object is in motion due to balanced forces.

3. What are the conditions for an object to be in static equilibrium?

For an object to be in static equilibrium, the following conditions must be met:

• The object must be at rest or moving with a constant velocity.
  • The net force acting on the object must be zero.
  • The net torque (or rotational force) acting on the object must also be zero.

4. How can we determine if an object is in static equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in static equilibrium, we can use the equations of static equilibrium. These include the equations for net force and net torque, as well as the conditions for equilibrium mentioned in the previous answer.

5. Why is static equilibrium important in physics and engineering?

Static equilibrium is important in physics and engineering because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is also crucial in designing and building structures, such as buildings and bridges, to ensure that they can withstand external forces without collapsing.