Static equilibrium minimum cylinder mass problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the minimum mass of a cylinder, m1, needed to cause loss of contact at point A. Using equilibrium equations, the torques due to the weight of the L-shaped object and the force of the hinge are calculated. The final equation has only one variable, m1, which can be solved for using the known values of the other variables.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

Determine the minimum cylinder mass m1 required to cause loss of contact at A.

20150705_173930_zpstbaku2nz.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF=0, ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure where to go with this one. the solution would be in terms of mass(m)
20150705_170558_zpslutfdwqc.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect there is a figure missing from the problem statement.

Likes J-dizzal
Dr. Courtney said:
oops, uploading now

I have the same question if anyone made progress on it.

Dr. Courtney said:
HelaCopter said:
I have the same question if anyone made progress on it.
what do you have for your equilibrium equations?

Classic equilibrium problem. The sum of the forces is set equal to zero. The sum of the torques is set equal to zero.

I would focus first on the torques on the angled piece. Compute them all. Add and set them equal to zero.

Dr. Courtney said:
Classic equilibrium problem. The sum of the forces is set equal to zero. The sum of the torques is set equal to zero.

I would focus first on the torques on the angled piece. Compute them all. Add and set them equal to zero.
Thats what i tried in my solution, I am not sure what is wrong with it

J-dizzal said:
Thats what i tried in my solution, I am not sure what is wrong with it
I have the same moment equation.

HelaCopter said:
I have the same moment equation.
i think the weight of the object is equal to m. therefore it follows that the weight of the longer bean is 2/3w and the shorter beam has weight w/3.

this might be used to get the ∑F=0 eqation. if that is even needed.

Hi J-dizzal.

The problem should've put a 90-degree angle between the L shaped part :\

Is what you call Ax the normal force from the wall? What will this be when contact is lost?
(P.S. it would be perpendicular to the wall, I think I can faintly see you drew it perpendicular and then erased it.)

Is what you call M0 is supposed to be the torque about O due to the weight of L-shaped part? You should be able to find an expression for this (assume the density is uniform).

You also need to find an expression for what you call Tm.

Then you should be good.edit:
J-dizzal said:
i think the weight of the object is equal to m. therefore it follows that the weight of the longer bean is 2/3w and the shorter beam has weight w/3.
Yes this will come into play in the expression for M0
(Also, this assumes the density is uniform, which you have to assume, but it's good to recognize your assumptions.)

Last edited:
Likes J-dizzal
Nathanael said:
Hi J-dizzal

Is what you call Ax the normal force from the wall? What will this be when contact is lost?
(P.S. it would be perpendicular to the wall, I think I can faintly see you drew it perpendicular and then erased it.)

Is what you call M0 is supposed to be the torque about O due to the weight of L-shaped part? You should be able to find an expression for this (assume the density is uniform).

You also need to find an expression for what you call Tm.

Then you should be good.edit:

Yes this will come into play in the expression for M0
(Also, this assume the density is uniform, which you have to assume, but it's good to recognize your assumptions.)
yes, Ax=0,
edit
Hi Nathanael,
M0 is the reactant force about point 0. was i supposed to draw that reactant force, i think reactant forces are only drawn for the axis they are restricted?
An expression for Tm; maybe in terms of just mg

Last edited:
J-dizzal said:
yes, Ax=0,
M0 is the reactant force about point 0. was i supposed to draw that reactant force, i think reactant forces are only drawn for the axis they are restricted?
This is the advantage of choosing to take the torques about point O, the force of the hinge produces no torque.
(If you calculated it you would multiply a force by zero distance which=0)
In that case you need to include the torques due to the weight of the L shaped object in your equation

J-dizzal said:
An expression for Tm; maybe in terms of just m1
Yes it will be in terms of m1

Is Ay correctly shown here? ΣM0= Ax2/3 l + m1/2 cos(34) l/3 + m/3 cos(34) 1/9 l - 2/3 m cos(56) = 0
this seems like it has too many variables

J-dizzal said:
Is Ay correctly shown here?
I'm not sure what you mean, what is Ay?

J-dizzal said:
m1/2 cos(34) l/3 + m/3 cos(34) 1/9 l - 2/3 m cos(56)
The dimensions are wrong on all these terms. (May be a typo.)

J-dizzal said:
Ax2/3 l
Like you said Ax is zero so just drop this term.

J-dizzal said:
m/3 cos(34) 1/9 l
Can you explain why you used L/9?

J-dizzal said:
- 2/3 m cos(56)
You haven't multiplied this term by any distance.

J-dizzal said:
this seems like it has too many variables
The mass of the cylinder will depend on the the mass of the L-shaped thing, but that should be the only variable left in the end.

∑M= m1/2 cos(34) l/3 + 3.3cos(34) l/6 - 6.5cos(56) l/3 =0

3.3N= 1/3m(9.8m/s/s)
6.5N= 2/3m(9.8m/s/s)

J-dizzal said:
∑M= m1/2 cos(34) l/3 + 3.3cos(34) l/6 - 6.5cos(56) l/3 =0

3.3N= 1/3m(9.8m/s/s)
6.5N= 2/3m(9.8m/s/s)
mg/3=3.3m not 3.3 but don't plug in g=9.8 anyway, just put g (you will be able to divide the g out of the equation).

It's looking better. The m1 term should also have a factor of g, and for some reason you left "m" out of the equation. Other than that it is good.

Likes J-dizzal

1. What is the "Static equilibrium minimum cylinder mass problem"?

The static equilibrium minimum cylinder mass problem is a physics problem that involves finding the minimum mass of a cylinder needed to maintain static equilibrium when placed on a horizontal surface.

2. How is this problem solved?

This problem is solved by using the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero for it to be in a state of equilibrium. This involves setting up and solving equations based on the forces acting on the cylinder.

3. What are the key factors that affect the minimum cylinder mass in this problem?

The key factors that affect the minimum cylinder mass in this problem are the weight of the cylinder, the angle of the surface it is placed on, and the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface.

4. Are there any assumptions made in this problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in this problem. These include assuming that the surface is completely flat, that the cylinder is a perfect cylinder with uniform mass distribution, and that the surface and the cylinder have a rough enough texture to create friction between them.

5. What real-life applications can this problem have?

This problem has various real-life applications, such as determining the minimum weight needed for a ladder to maintain stability on a sloped surface, or calculating the minimum weight required for a bridge to withstand wind forces without toppling over.