Where Should the Normal Reaction Be in a Static Equilibrium Problem?

In summary, static equilibrium is a state where all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a stable and motionless position. It differs from dynamic equilibrium, which involves balanced forces resulting in constant motion. The conditions for static equilibrium are that the sum of all forces and torques acting on an object must be equal to zero. This concept is important in fields such as architecture, engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some examples of objects in static equilibrium are a book on a table, a ladder against a wall, and a person standing on the ground.
Miike012
I am working on this word problem, you can see from my attachment..
I want to make sure my body diagram is correct?

Attachments

• Axis.png
    Axis.png
    17 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the normal reaction N would be at the pivot.

The rest of the diagram is correct.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a stable and motionless position.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium involves balanced forces that result in constant motion, while static equilibrium involves balanced forces that result in no motion.

3. What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

The conditions for static equilibrium are that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero, and the sum of all torques (or rotational forces) acting on an object must also be equal to zero.

4. How can the concept of static equilibrium be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of static equilibrium is important in architecture and engineering, as it is necessary to ensure that structures and buildings are stable and will not collapse under the forces acting on them. It is also relevant in physics and mechanics, as it helps to understand the balance of forces in various systems.

5. What are some examples of objects in static equilibrium?

Some examples of objects in static equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaned against a wall, and a person standing still on the ground. In each of these situations, the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in no motion.