Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static equilibrium wine bottle holder

1. Dec 20, 2004 #1
    Was looking for some assistance in setting up the force and torque balance equations for one of those wine bottle holders where the holder is nothing more than a tilted board with a hole in it. I understand that the C.G. of the system needs to be directly above the base of the board but I want to generate the equations so I can vary some of the inputs (the angle of the board, for example) and be able to re-calculate the position of the hole (that is, the distance from the base of the board to the center of the hole measured up the board. Let F(h) = force (weight) of the holder, F(b) = weight of the bottle, L = Length of the rack, l = length of the bottle, and theta = angle of rack to the horizontal. Does a bottle inserted horizontally into the holder produce a horizontal force acting on the holder as well as a down force assoc. with its weight? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted