Solve Static Equilibrium for Tac + Tbc

• Thread starter fordrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary, the student is trying to find the equilibrium equilibrium of 500 pounds being pulled on the x axis and the y axis. They found that 500 = Tac*sin(50)+Tbc*cos(30) and that Tac*cos(50) = Tbc*cos(30).
fordrew
Hi everyone, first time post at physics forums, I hope to help out some people with calc and I hope to discuss some physics topics too! But however I have a homework question in MECH 234.

Homework Statement

Find Tac + Tbc from the given picture:

23ie0ra.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣFx = 0
ΣFy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first, since 500N is being pulled on the x axis-

ΣFx = 0 = Tac*sin(50)+Tbc*sin(30) - 500

500 = Tac*sin(50)+Tbc*sin(30)

The right side is the sum of all the Fx components and they must be equal to zero.

ΣFy = 0 = Tac*cos(50)+Tbc*cos(30)

The right side is the sum of all the Fy components and they must be equal to zero.

When I try to solve the two equations (2 unkowns 2 equations) I just get crazy numbers. I do not know what mistake I could be making otherwise except the angles might be wrong. Or perhaps I should be using the law of cosines or sines?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be making the mistake in the equation you have for the y dimension. You have that the sum of all y forces is zero, which is correct. However, you may have made your mistake by not setting Tac*cos(50) equal to Tbc*cos(30). Did you mistakingly say Tac*cos(50) equals -Tbc*cos(30)? Also, put up the numbers you got so it is easier to find where you went wrong.

Well I solved for the equations:

0 = Tac*cos(50)+Tbc*cos(30)

and got

Tac ~ 1.98
Tbc ~ -199I did not know that you need to set Tac*cos(50) equal to Tbc*cos(30). Why do they have to be equal? Is it because there is no y component in the 500lb force; therefore, both components need to be equal to each other for equilibrium?My answer for solving the system of equations-

Tac*cos(50) = Tbc*cos(30)

Tbc= 326.3518 N
Tac= 439.6926 N

It is correct. And I would like to thank you in advance.

Last edited:

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration or movement of the object.

What is the equation for solving static equilibrium?

The equation for solving static equilibrium is known as the "sum of forces" equation, which states that the sum of all the forces acting on an object must equal zero.

What does Tac and Tbc represent in the equation?

Tac and Tbc represent the tension forces acting on the object at points A and B, respectively. These forces are typically caused by strings, ropes, or cables connected to the object.

How do you solve for Tac and Tbc?

To solve for Tac and Tbc, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, use the sum of forces equation to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown tensions.

What are the units for Tac and Tbc?

Tac and Tbc are typically measured in units of force, such as newtons (N) or pounds (lb).