1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Fluid question

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One hundred millilitres of water is poured into a U-tube that has a cross-sectional area of 1 cm2. Then 100 millilitres of oil, with a density 80% that of water, is poured down one side of the U-tube so that the oil floats on the water. Find the difference in height of the liquid surfaces on the two sides of the U-tube.

2. Relevant equations
    P=gph

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just struggling to get started, i know that on either side that at a certain point the pressures are equal.
    Just a pointer to get going would be great..

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2
    Match them up at the bottom of the U.

Chet

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    in my sketch, i have Pa = LHS p(oil)gh = RHS p(water)gL .. g cancels our but i have two unknowns..which is the different heights of each column?

5. May 12, 2014 #4
    If h is the height of the oil above the oil-water interface, and L is the height of the water above the oil-water interface, the h = 100 cm.

Chet

6. May 12, 2014 #5
    ah okay, thank you chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted