Static Force Problem: Solutions & Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the force on a panel from the legs, with given values for Wp, Ws, and Ww. The panel is at a 44 degree angle with the horizontal and the legs are equally spaced from the center. The speaker has attempted to solve the problem but is getting different results when summing the forces in the x and y directions. They ask for someone else to attempt the problem and provide more information about the applied forces and a complete diagram.
RTbest
Load problem.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

I have a problem I am looking for the force that the legs(Fl) have on the panel. Wp = 44.1 lbf, Ws = 1067.5 lbs, Ww=6.9 lbf. The legs are both spaced equally from the centre. the angle that the panel (Angled plane) with the horizontal is 44 degrees, as labeled. I've attempted this problem but when I sum the forces in the x and solve for Fl, the same result does not result when I sum the components in the y. Doing the x components Fl = 255 lbf, y components Fl = 296.8. Can someone else attempt this problem? Maybe I have my geometry wrong or something.

Thank you in advance

You diagram doesn't provide enough info. Are the applied forces midway between the legs? Is Ws pointing due south west?
Why have you included the 44 degree angle? It doesn't appear to have any bearing on the problem.
As Wp and Ws are not equal the Fl forces are not perpendicular to the table.

Show your attempt and we can check it. Clearly define all variables and units. A complete diagram would help a lot.

What is the Static Force Problem?

The Static Force Problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the forces acting on an object in a state of equilibrium, or balance. This problem is commonly encountered in engineering and mechanics.

How do you solve a Static Force Problem?

To solve a Static Force Problem, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object, identifying all the forces acting on it. Then, using Newton's Laws of Motion, you can set up and solve equations to determine the unknown forces.

What are some common tips for solving Static Force Problems?

Some helpful tips for solving Static Force Problems include drawing accurate and neat free body diagrams, labeling all forces with their respective magnitudes and directions, and breaking down vector forces into their horizontal and vertical components.

What are the key factors to consider when solving a Static Force Problem?

When solving a Static Force Problem, it is important to consider the properties of the object, such as its mass and dimensions, as well as the forces acting on it, including weight, normal force, friction, and applied forces. Additionally, you must ensure that all equations are balanced and in the correct units.

How can understanding the Static Force Problem be useful in the real world?

Understanding the Static Force Problem can be useful in various real-world applications, such as designing structures and machines, analyzing the stability and safety of objects, and predicting the behavior of systems under different conditions. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of mechanics and physics.