1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Forces. Angle problem.

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I drew up a little diagram to illustrate the problem.

PhysicsLabQuestion.jpg

The goal of this lab report is to find the h value (in cm) for each of the possible masses at B. (one problem for 500g, one for 700g and one for 900g. The only thing that should change is the h value. The leftmost mass never changes)
    θ and a are unknown. The pulley on the left is considered to be frictionless and the cords masses are negligible.

Point B is "tied" so the cord does not slide and thus BC is fixed at 60 cm. Length AB however is variable due to the pulley.

2. Relevant equations

Sin(θ) = opposite/hypotenuses
    Cos(θ) = adjacent/hypotenuses
    Tan(θ) = opposite/adjacent

3. The attempt at a solution

Here are the equations I've come up with thus far.

Cos(a) = ABx/4.9N
    Sin(a) = ABy/4.9N
    ABx/Cos(a) = ABy/ Sin(a)

cos(θ) = (105-d)/60 (d being the top side of the left-most triangle, separated at h)
    tan(a) = h/d
    h = sqrt( (60^2) - ((105-d)^2) )

I can also say that:
    BCx = ABx (as this is a static question. B is at rest, thus all resulting forces acting on it are equal to 0)
    BCy + ABy - W = 0
    or alternatively
    BCy + ABy = W
    (where W is the current mass of the object at point B)

I "know" the solution lies in the angles, but for the life of me I just can't fit my equations together in order to draw a definite conclusion. I'd love a push in the right direction if anyone can contribute something to this. I keep trying to break down the forces but without an angle it is difficult and I can't find the proper substitution.

First time post here, I hope I did it right, thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2
    It seems that you're on the right track...

Take a step back before trying to solve for the angle. What are the forces acting on the two blocks? How do these forces relate to the angles?

-Kerry

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    It has been a week and I still seem to be unable to get the answer myself.
    A collegue did the calculations and passed them to me, but they seem to essentially be my own calculations and don't give an h value (which we are searching for)
    I plugged them into Maple 12 and it cannot solve it. I am quite certain I have too many unknowns and I cannot figure out how to elemenate them.

If someone could at least confirm I am not missing any formulas or maybe which angle to focus on? (I would figure I need to 'link' the formula's using the angles, but have yet to figure out how)

Thanks again.

Oh, and the formula's he gave me are...

-4.905*cos(a) - Tr cos(q)=0

-4.905 + 4.905*sin(a)+Tr*sin(q)=0

.6/(sin(a))= 1.05/(sin(180 - (a +q))

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Madcat! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You know T, and you know that tan(a) = h/(105 - 60cosθ).

You don't know the tension in the 60 string, and you don't want to know it, so … standard trick … take components perpendicular to that string.

What do you get? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook