How to Solve a Static Forces Angle Problem with Variable Length

In summary, the goal of this lab report is to find the h value (in cm) for each of the possible masses at B. (one problem for 500g, one for 700g and one for 900g. The only thing that should change is the h value. The leftmost mass never changes)
Madcat

Homework Statement

I drew up a little diagram to illustrate the problem.

PhysicsLabQuestion.jpg

The goal of this lab report is to find the h value (in cm) for each of the possible masses at B. (one problem for 500g, one for 700g and one for 900g. The only thing that should change is the h value. The leftmost mass never changes)
θ and a are unknown. The pulley on the left is considered to be frictionless and the cords masses are negligible.

Point B is "tied" so the cord does not slide and thus BC is fixed at 60 cm. Length AB however is variable due to the pulley.

Homework Equations

Sin(θ) = opposite/hypotenuses
Cos(θ) = adjacent/hypotenuses
Tan(θ) = opposite/adjacent

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the equations I've come up with thus far.

Cos(a) = ABx/4.9N
Sin(a) = ABy/4.9N
ABx/Cos(a) = ABy/ Sin(a)

cos(θ) = (105-d)/60 (d being the top side of the left-most triangle, separated at h)
tan(a) = h/d
h = sqrt( (60^2) - ((105-d)^2) )

I can also say that:
BCx = ABx (as this is a static question. B is at rest, thus all resulting forces acting on it are equal to 0)
BCy + ABy - W = 0
or alternatively
BCy + ABy = W
(where W is the current mass of the object at point B)

I "know" the solution lies in the angles, but for the life of me I just can't fit my equations together in order to draw a definite conclusion. I'd love a push in the right direction if anyone can contribute something to this. I keep trying to break down the forces but without an angle it is difficult and I can't find the proper substitution.

First time post here, I hope I did it right, thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Madcat said:
I "know" the solution lies in the angles, but for the life of me I just can't fit my equations together in order to draw a definite conclusion. I'd love a push in the right direction if anyone can contribute something to this. I keep trying to break down the forces but without an angle it is difficult and I can't find the proper substitution.

It seems that you're on the right track...

Take a step back before trying to solve for the angle. What are the forces acting on the two blocks? How do these forces relate to the angles?

-Kerry

Last edited:
It has been a week and I still seem to be unable to get the answer myself.
A colleague did the calculations and passed them to me, but they seem to essentially be my own calculations and don't give an h value (which we are searching for)
I plugged them into Maple 12 and it cannot solve it. I am quite certain I have too many unknowns and I cannot figure out how to elemenate them.

If someone could at least confirm I am not missing any formulas or maybe which angle to focus on? (I would figure I need to 'link' the formula's using the angles, but have yet to figure out how)

Thanks again.

Oh, and the formula's he gave me are...

-4.905*cos(a) - Tr cos(q)=0

-4.905 + 4.905*sin(a)+Tr*sin(q)=0

.6/(sin(a))= 1.05/(sin(180 - (a +q))

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

Hi Madcat! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You know T, and you know that tan(a) = h/(105 - 60cosθ).

You don't know the tension in the 60 string, and you don't want to know it, so … standard trick … take components perpendicular to that string.

What do you get? :wink:

1. What is a static force?

A static force is a force that does not change in magnitude or direction. It is typically applied to an object that is not in motion.

2. How is static force different from dynamic force?

Dynamic force is a force that changes in magnitude or direction, typically applied to an object in motion. Static force, on the other hand, does not change and is applied to an object at rest.

3. What is an angle problem in relation to static forces?

An angle problem in relation to static forces involves determining the magnitude and direction of forces acting on an object at a certain angle. This is commonly seen in problems involving inclined planes or pulleys.

4. How is the angle of a static force calculated?

The angle of a static force can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific equation used depends on the given information and the problem being solved.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding static forces and angle problems?

Understanding static forces and angle problems is important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can be used to design structures that can withstand different forces, analyze the stability of objects, and determine the most efficient way to move objects using pulleys or inclined planes.