Static Friction Coefficient

In summary, the car needs to have a tangential acceleration of 4.14m/s^2 in order to start skidding. If the car has a mass of 500 kg and a gravitational force of 9.8 m/s^2, then the car will start to skid when it reaches a speed of 37.7 m/s.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

To test the performance of its tires, a car travels along a perfectly flat (no banking) circular track of radius 412 m. The car increases its speed at uniform rate of, at= 4.14m/s^2, until the tires start to skid. If the tires start to skid when the car reaches a speed of 37.7 m/s, what is the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

u(s)=(V^2)/(r*g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the above equation is the one I am supposed to be using. I simply rearranged the equation to solve for Vmax to solve for the static coefficient. I have no idea why I need the tangential acceleration and I believe that 37.7 is the maximum velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
What must be true for the car to start skidding? Where does the formula that you plan to use come from?

For the car to start skidding doesn't that mean it overcomes the force of static friction? I got the formula from my notes and it was originally Vmax=sqrt((radius)(u(s))(g))

Bearbull24.5 said:
For the car to start skidding doesn't that mean it overcomes the force of static friction?
That is correct, but in what direction is the force of static friction that needs to be overcome in the present case?
I got the formula from my notes and it was originally Vmax=sqrt((radius)(u(s))(g))
Careful here! The formula from your notes was derived for a car that goes around a circle at constant speed, i.e. there is no tangential acceleration. When there is tangential acceleration, the net force of static friction that needs to be overcome is "mass times resultant magnitude of acceleration."

But there is no mass given

If no mass is given, call it m and proceed with the algebra. If you do things correctly, maybe you will not need to know the mass in the end.

Okay, I think I may be onto something here. f(s)=u(s)N. If I substitute ma(t) in for f(s) and solve for u(s) I end up getting that u(s) is equal to tangential acceleration times gravity since the mass in the forces cancel out.

Edit** It would be tangential acceleration divided by gravity

And that was not correct. Extremely lost, confused and only 2 more attempts left before I get no points at all for this problem

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2595490

I finally figured it out. Had to find the centripetal acceleration and use that and the tangential acceleration to find the total magnitude of acceleration and then plug it into the formula ma=u(s)N. While solving for u(s) the m cancels out and I get a right answer for once. Yay

1. What is the definition of static friction coefficient?

The static friction coefficient is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces in contact.

2. How is static friction coefficient different from kinetic friction coefficient?

Static friction coefficient refers to the force required to initiate movement between two surfaces, while kinetic friction coefficient refers to the force required to maintain movement between two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the value of static friction coefficient?

The value of static friction coefficient is influenced by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied between them.

4. How is static friction coefficient measured?

Static friction coefficient is typically measured by conducting experiments where the force required to overcome static friction is recorded and then divided by the normal force between the two surfaces.

5. What is the significance of static friction coefficient in everyday life?

Static friction coefficient plays a crucial role in the design of structures and machines, as well as in everyday activities such as walking, driving, and holding objects. It helps us understand the amount of force needed to keep objects in place and prevent them from slipping or sliding.