Static friction force? mew? do what now?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of static friction force and the coefficient of friction (represented as "mew") in relation to force and acceleration. The conversation also provides a formula for calculating coefficient of friction and explains its role in determining the tendency of an object to slide.
star227
:( static friction force? mew? do what now??

Okay, thanks for helping me first off.
Second, i was absent :( and now I'm pretty confused on a few problems that do with force.
the first of four problems, i don't understand, like, what exactly is mew?
ok ..
1. a 225 kg crate is pushed horizontally with a force of 710 N. If the coefficient of friction is .20, calculate the acceleration of the crate.
Heres what I've done:
225 kg= F sub g
710 N= F sub p
a = ?
now is the coefficient of friction static or kinetic? does it matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coefficient of friction is mew. Do you have the formula for coefficient of friction, the one with Ff in it? I can't recall the meaning of what coefficient of friction is but if you have your formula for it you should be able to find acceleration.

well, we have this formula..but its really confusing to me.
KINETIC FRICTION FORCE: Ff, kinetic=mewk times Force normal

? whoa that's got no acceleration. I am confused and frustrated :(

nevermind ill take a zero lol it doesn't matter.

I know how to do the problem now then. I'll give you some formulas and information, you can then try and attempt it.

Ff = Mew x Fn

Fn = -(Weight)
W = mg (gravity = g = -9.8 m/s^2
Weight is always negative. Fn (normal force) is what causes something to stay in place; therefore, it is opposite but equal to weight. Fn is positive.

Once you have Ff you know:

Fnet (net force) = Fapp (force applied) + Ff (force of friction)
Force of friction is negative:

Fnet= Fapp + (Ff) - The + will combine with the - from Ff and make the problem subtraction.

Once you have Fnet:

Fnet = ma
Rearrange

Fnet divided by mass = a

Then you have acceleration.

Yupp - that's right :)

To clear understanding...mew indeed is the coefficient of friction

it is defined as the Frictional Force (F of F) over (/) the Normal Force (F of N)

Mew helps to understand the tendency of an object to slide..

For instance, an object with .5 mew takes much more force to slide it horizontally than an object with a .3 mew.

1. What is static friction force?

Static friction force is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other. It is the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion.

2. How is static friction force different from kinetic friction force?

Static friction force acts on stationary objects, while kinetic friction force acts on objects in motion. Static friction force is generally greater than kinetic friction force, as it takes more force to start an object moving than to keep it moving.

3. What is the coefficient of static friction (μ) and how is it related to static friction force?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the maximum amount of friction between two surfaces before one starts to slide. It is directly related to the static friction force, with a larger coefficient resulting in a greater static friction force.

4. How is the direction of static friction force determined?

The direction of static friction force is always parallel to the surface of contact between the two objects and opposite to the direction in which the object would slip if there was no friction. This direction is determined by the normal force acting between the two surfaces.

5. How can static friction force be reduced?

Static friction force can be reduced by applying a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to the surfaces in contact. This reduces the coefficient of static friction and allows the objects to slide more easily against each other.