1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static friction : Moving truck

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    An un-tethered block sits on a flatbed truck as it accelerates up an incline that makes an angle of 15° with respect to the horizontal. If the truck speeds up at a rate less than 2.50 m/s2, the block remains on the truck. If the truck speeds up at a rate equal to or greater than this value, however, the block slides off the truck. What is the coefficient of static friction between the truck and the block?

Ok so i understand that tan(15) gives me the coef if the trunk is motionless i think? (.267)

And when it has motion i need to account for Normal Force which is Fn= M* G

But i cannot figure out how i get the mass. Assuming something to do with the 2.50 accel but i am stuck any tips would be great.

Fs = n tan angle also found that but still cant figure out how to get Fn

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2
    edit

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. Oct 22, 2007 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

What is the maximum frictional force?

There are 3 forces acting on the block... the static frictional force upward... gravity, and the normal force...

sum of the forces in the direction parallel to the incline = ma

set a = 2.50. what is the frictional force?

sum of the forces perpendicualr to the incline = 0

what is the normal force?

so what is the coefficient of frction...

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4
    ahhhhh i feel dumb =/ i got it now thank you for leading me in the right direction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?