How Is Static Friction Affecting the Boy and the Crate's Movement?

In summary, the conversation discusses a boy pushing a crate down the sidewalk and the forces acting on both the boy and the crate. The estimated coefficients of friction for the boy's shoes and the crate are given, and calculations are made to determine the mass of the crate. After some confusion, it is concluded that the forces on the boy and the crate are equal and the equations are correct.
marissa12
You see the boy next door trying to push a crate down the sidewalk. He can barely keep it moving, and his feet occasionally slip. You start to wonder how heavy the crate is. You call to ask the boy his mass, and he replies " 51.0 kg." From your recent physics class you estimate that the static and kinetic coefficients of friction are 0.900 and 0.4 for the boy's shoes, and 0.5 and 0.2 for the crate.

what is the mass of the crate?

<<Forces acting on the boy>>

X= F(static friction)-F(box on boy)=ma=0 F(static f)=F(boy on box)

y= Fg=Fn

<<Forces acting on box>>

X= F(boy on box)- F(kinetic friction)=ma=0 F(boy on b)= F(kinetic friction)

y: Fn=Fg

and the F(boy on b)= -F(box on boy)= F

i can't understand why this isn't working if i plug in all my numbers and manipulate the equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
marissa12 said:
<<Forces acting on the boy>>

X= F(static friction)-F(box on boy)=ma=0 F(static f)=F(boy on box)
Good. (I assume you meant F(box on boy).)
<<Forces acting on box>>

X= F(boy on box)- F(kinetic friction)=ma=0 F(boy on b)= F(kinetic friction)
Good.

and the F(boy on b)= -F(box on boy)= F
Good. In your earlier equations F(boy on box) & F(box on boy) represent the magnitudes of those forces, so F(boy on box) = F(box on boy).

Now put it all together: If F = A and F = B, then A = B. (That's a hint.)

hah yay.. i had it right the whole time.. its just i wrote my work soo sloppy i messed up the numbers. thank you !

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and at rest, preventing the object from moving.

2. How is the magnitude of static friction determined?

The magnitude of static friction is determined by the coefficient of static friction, which is a measure of the roughness between two surfaces. It is also influenced by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on the object.

3. What factors affect static friction?

The factors that affect static friction include the roughness of the surfaces, the normal force, and the coefficient of static friction. Other factors such as temperature and surface area can also have an impact on static friction.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. The magnitude of static friction is typically greater than that of kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and set an object in motion.

5. How does static friction relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. Static friction is an example of this law, as the force of static friction prevents an object from moving until an external force overcomes it and causes motion.