1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Friction Problem

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble solving this problem:

A woman attempts to push a box of books that has mass up a ramp inclined at an angle (alpha) above the horizontal. The coefficients of friction between the ramp and the box are (mu_k) and (mu_s). The force F applied by the woman is horizontal.

If (mu_s) is greater than some critical value, the woman cannot start the box moving up the ramp no matter how hard she pushes. Calculate this critical value of (mu_s).

I know that the maximum value of mu_s is f_mu/N. So, using F(y) = ma(y), I got: N - F*Gcos(alpha) - F*Gsin(alpha) = 0. Therefore, making N = F*Gcos(alpha) + F*Gsin(alpha). That's it. I don't know what to do next. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2
    You have to resolve F in two directions: parallel to the incline and perpendicular to it. This will give you two equations, both involving F and one involving the normal reaction N, friction force f and acceleration a. Since the mass (of books) does not move up or down the incline, the acceleration a = 0. So this problem reduces to

[tex]\sum F_{x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{y} = 0[/tex]

where x and y are the directions parallel and perpendicular to the incline.

You should get the following equations as a result

[tex]F\cos\alpha - mg\sin\alpha - f_{s} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]N - mg\cos\alpha - F\sin\alpha = 0[/tex]

Solve them to get the value of [tex]\mu_{s}[/tex] using the fact that [tex]f_{s} = \mu_{s}N[/tex].

Hope that helps...

Cheers
    Vivek

EDIT--The above equations are valid iff F is applied in the horizontal direction (i.e. in a direction parallel to the base of the incline).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?