Calculating Coefficient of Static Friction for Crate on Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem involves a crate on a rough plane at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The goal is to calculate the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the plane. The equation f(s) <_(Mu(s))N is used, and the gravitational force is equal to mg. By breaking the force into components and applying Newton's first law, a value of μ = 0.84 is obtained.
craig.16

Homework Statement

A crate resting on a rough plane is found to be on the verge of sliding when the plane is inclined at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. Calculate the coefficient of static friction between the crate and plane. [

Homework Equations

f(s)<_(Mu(s))N
<_ is meant to resemble less than or equal to.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is the equaton i presented above, other than that I don't have a clue where to start on this one as it only provides an angle whereas the equation needs more values. If there are any other equations for static friction that this equation needs please could you post it so I can learn that and then attempt the question using the new equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational force acting on the crate is equal to mg (you don't know m, so just leave it as mg)

Try to break this force into a component parallel to the plane, and a component perpendicular to the plane.

The normal force will counteract the perpendicular component, and the frictional force will counteract the parallel component.

If you solve the problem correctly, the mass terms will cancel each other out, leaving you with a value for μ.

Craig, when the object is on the verge of sliding, then f(s) = (Mu(s))N. Draw a free body diagram of the block...identify the forces acting...choose the x-axis parallel to the plane, and the y-axis perpendicular to the plane...and apply Newton's first law in both directions, since the block is not moving in either direction. You'll need a little trig and geometry and vector component knowledge, to find the coefficient. Are you familiar with these concepts?

Edit: Per Beaker87's response...

using mu=F/N I got a value of 0.84. Is this correct? Also the mg's did cancel out thankfully and I calculated this because my last step was mu=tan40=0.84 (2dp). I think this might be the right answer as its within the region of static friction values given in my book.

Yes, looks good!

Good to know. Thanks for the help PhantomJay and Beaker87. Its surprising how much can be forgotten on a subject over a couple of weeks if you don't keep on top of it, even if its the little questions like this. I think it was the ridiculous 10 marks for this question that made me think it was more complicated than it actually was though.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents two surfaces from moving against each other when there is no applied external force. It is a result of the microscopic interactions between the two surfaces and can vary depending on the roughness and materials of the surfaces.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the surfaces. Additionally, the magnitude of static friction can be greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction can be affected by the normal force between the two surfaces, the roughness and materials of the surfaces, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces.

4. How is static friction calculated?

The formula for static friction is μsN, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally or found in reference tables.

5. Can static friction ever be zero?

Yes, if the applied external force is greater than the maximum force of static friction, the two surfaces will start moving and the static friction will be zero. This is known as the threshold of motion or the point of impending motion.