1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static friction

Tags:
  1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 50kg object begins at rest on a surface with a static coef of friction at 0.6. If you push horizontally on the object with a force of 27N, how quickly will it move across the surface?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is from Trivium Praxis test prep book. The solution given is 0.6*50=30N of static friction, so no, it will not move. In the very brief section explaining friction, it said that friction=coef * normal force, but they labelled it as capitol N. Shouldnt the normal force be 50g? So F=0.6 * 50g? I decided to try to pass the test this summer after taking physics 15+ years ago!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There's likely a typo in the question. The object description was probably meant to give its weight as 50 Newtons, not mass in kilograms.

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    Welcome to Physics Forums.
    Are you sure it is a 50 kg object, and not a 50 Newton object?
    But assuming it is a 50 kg object: If it is a horizontal surface, the normal force N will be equal to the weight of the object. The weight is mg = (50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 490 N (where N is Newtons)
    So the normal force will be N = 490 N. And the maximum friction force will be f = μN = (0.6)(490) = 294 N. So if you push with 27 N, the friction force will also be 27 N. Thus the object will not move.

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4
    Thanks. This is the 2nd error I think I've found and I've only done 12 questions in of the first section!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted