Static Frictional Force

In summary, the maximum acceleration a plane can have without a cup sliding backward on the table is 2.94 m/s^2, based on the coefficient of static friction between the cup and the table. The calculated answer of 2.94 m/s^2 may differ from the expected answer of 3.25 m/s^2 due to the variability of the coefficient of static friction, which can increase slightly before decreasing as the object starts to move. This could explain the slight discrepancy in the answers.
helen3743
A cup of coffee is sitting on a table in an airplane that is flying at a constant altitude and a constant velocity. The coefficient of static friction between the cup and the table is 0.30. Suddenly, the plane accelerates, its altitude remaining constant. What is the maximum acceleration that the plane can have without the cup sliding backward on the table?

I got 2.94 m/s^2 as my answer, but the answer is supposed to be 3.25 m/s^2.

This is how I did it:
Fsmax = (funny looking symbol for coefficient of static friction)*FN
FN = mg
Fsmax = (symbol for coefficient of static friction)*mg = ma

amax = ((symbol for coefficient of static friction)*mg)/m
amax = (symbol for coefficient of static friction*g
amax = 0.30 * 9.8 = 2.94 m/s^2

What did I do wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says the answer is suppose to be 3.25 [itex]m\cdot s^{-2}[/itex]? I can't see anything wrong with your working.

Your method and answer look OK to me.

[Hootenanny's getting faster!]

This might bring some light.

Force of friction is based on the normal force of the object.

The airplane accelerates, a force ===> in that direction.

The Force of Friction is <===== that direction.

The only way to get 3.25 is when the coefficient is .33 but I remember that static friction exceeds a little bit more then goes down if you look at a graph. o_O

What is static frictional force?

Static frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is at rest or moving at a constant speed. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of two objects that are in contact with each other.

What factors affect the magnitude of static frictional force?

The magnitude of static frictional force is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the two surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

How is the direction of static frictional force determined?

The direction of static frictional force is always opposite to the direction of the applied force or the direction of potential motion. It acts in a direction that prevents the two surfaces from sliding against each other.

What happens when the applied force exceeds the maximum static frictional force?

When the applied force exceeds the maximum static frictional force, the object will start to move and the frictional force will decrease. This is known as the point of static frictional force being overcome.

How is static frictional force different from kinetic frictional force?

Static frictional force acts on objects that are at rest or moving at a constant speed, while kinetic frictional force acts on objects that are in motion. Additionally, the magnitude of kinetic frictional force is typically smaller than static frictional force.