Can You Help Me Solve This Static Mechanics Problem?

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem that involves determining the components and moment of a given force. The person seeking help is having difficulty with part b of the problem, but is able to successfully solve part a with the assistance of others.
bostonfenway
Hi I can't figure out this problem, can you please help me out?
Thank you so much!

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/515/19200619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi bostonfenway! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

First step, figure out the components of P.

Thank you for the welcome! :)

This is what I have done so far:

Vertical component = Pcos30 = .866P
Moment arm = 200cos40 = 153.2
Moment= 132.7P (ccw)

Horiz. comp. = Psin30 = .5P
Moment arm = 200 sin40 = 128.6
Moment = -64.3P (cw)

Net moment = 68.4P
Moment arm of P = 68.4

hi bostonfenway! :smile:

yes that's fine!

(btw, you can check it by seeing it's Pcos20°)

what is worrying you about that? :wink:

its right? So the answer to part a is 68.4?
What about part b? That worries me..

bostonfenway said:
its right? So the answer to part a is 68.4?

yes :smile:
What about part b? That worries me..​

(b asks for the moment arm)

by definition, the total moment (68.4) equals the total force (200) times the moment arm :wink:

Got it! Thanks tiny-tim :)

1. What is static mechanics?

Static mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining the resulting motion or lack thereof.

2. What are the key principles of static mechanics?

The key principles of static mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force, and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Additionally, static equilibrium is a key principle, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero for it to be in equilibrium.

3. How do you solve a static mechanics problem?

To solve a static mechanics problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion and the principle of static equilibrium to set up and solve equations to determine the unknown quantities, such as the magnitude and direction of the forces.

4. What are some common applications of static mechanics?

Static mechanics has many practical applications, including building and bridge design, analyzing the stability of structures, and determining the forces acting on different parts of a machine. It is also used in fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and architecture.

5. How is static mechanics different from dynamics?

Static mechanics deals with objects at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics involves objects in motion. Additionally, static mechanics focuses on the forces and their effects on the object, while dynamics considers the acceleration and resulting motion of the object. Essentially, static mechanics is concerned with the study of forces and equilibrium, while dynamics is concerned with the study of motion and its causes.