Will the Farmer Move the Stubborn Mule?

• Thread starter ideefixem
  • Start date
In summary, the farmer attempts to move a stubborn 120 kg mule by tying a rope and exerting a maximum force of 800 N. However, with coefficients of friction between the mule and the ground at 0.8 and 0.5, the farmer will not be able to move the mule due to the friction force being greater than the applied force. This problem is taken from Knight's book and is commonly used in intro physics classes.
ideefixem

Homework Statement

A stubborn 120 kg mule sits down and refuses to move. To drag the mule to the barn, the exasperated farmer ties a rope around the mule and pulls with his maximum force of 800 N. The coefficients of friction between the mule and the ground are mu,s = 0.8 and mu,k = 0.5. Is the farmer able to move the mule?

The attempt at a solution

friction=μs(normal force)
friction=0.8(120kg)
friction=120(9.8)(.8)
frictionS=940.8
940.8N>800N

The farmer will not be able to get the mule to move.

Does this look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. By the way, is this problem from Knight's book? I know I remember it from somewhere...

Haha, quite the memory. Yep, taken right from the book.

ideefixem said:
Haha, quite the memory. Yep, taken right from the book.

I tutor intro physics and they use that book at my university, so I must have done it recently at a tutoring session. So, my memory isn't that great.:rolleyes:

1. What is the meaning behind the phrase "Will the Farmer Move the Stubborn Mule?"

The phrase "Will the Farmer Move the Stubborn Mule?" is a metaphor for the challenge of changing someone's deeply ingrained behavior or mindset. It suggests that the farmer, representing a person in authority, is facing resistance from the stubborn mule, symbolizing an individual who is unwilling to change or be influenced.

2. Is this phrase based on a real-life scenario?

The phrase "Will the Farmer Move the Stubborn Mule?" is a common saying that likely originated from real-life scenarios involving farmers and their mules. However, it has become a widely used metaphor and is not necessarily tied to a specific event or story.

3. How can this phrase be applied in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, this phrase can be used to describe the challenge of changing or challenging long-held beliefs or theories. It can also be used to illustrate the resistance to change in scientific communities, where new ideas may face pushback from established ones.

4. Can the stubborn mule be seen as a positive or negative symbol?

The stubborn mule can be viewed as both positive and negative, depending on the interpretation. On one hand, it represents resilience and determination to hold onto one's beliefs or values. On the other hand, it can symbolize stubbornness and resistance to change, which can hinder progress and growth.

5. What are some strategies for dealing with a stubborn mule?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach for dealing with a stubborn mule. However, some strategies that may be effective include using positive reinforcement, finding common ground, and providing evidence or logical arguments to support your viewpoint. It is also important to approach the situation with patience and understanding, rather than becoming confrontational or aggressive.