Static particle with tension

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An aerialist is walking a wire of length 8 meters. He is being pulled from the edge with a rope that is 3 m in length. The person weighs 720 N and is in equilibrium. Determine a) the tension of the wire, b) the tension of the rope

2. Relevant equations
    Since the person is in equilibrium, the resulting Force is 0.
    The resultant must be the Tension vector of the wire + the tension vector of the rope + the weight vector of person.
    (R = T_w + T_r + W = 0)
    T_w = T_w(i) + 0(j) <--- i is the x component, and j is the y component
    T_r = -T_r(i) + 0(j)
    W = 0(i) - 720(j)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is this right?, is T_w the same magnitude on both sides?

Attached Files:

• p1.bmp
      p1.bmp
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,332
    Homework Helper

Are there any angles involved with this?

I'm not visualizing it from your description.

4. nvn

nvn 2,124
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

jonnyboy: Are we missing a diagram that goes with this question? If so, could you describe/explain the diagram, and mention any quantities shown on the diagram? The wire is in a V shape, right? Is the rope parallel to the wire? Where is each end of the rope attached? Is the man standing, with his feet apart?

5. ***I added the attachment with the image; the red arrows show the forces acting on the body. The arrow represents the rope force to the left and has a length of 3 meters and the whole wire is 8 meters long. The rope is parallel to the wire. Both the wire and the rope are on the horizontal sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?