Static Pressure along bounded channel

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli's Equation along and normal to streamlines, as well as the Continuity Equation from Conservation of Mass, to analyze the variation of static pressure along a curved wall with varying radius of curvature. The main focus is on understanding how the static pressure is affected during concave up and down walls, with the conclusion that the static pressure should increase as the radius of curvature increases. However, there is uncertainty on how the average static pressure in the streamwise direction will decrease as the fluid passes through the curved regions. The use of Bernoulli's Equation is mentioned but not fully understood in this case.
Apnshin

Homework Statement

20iux3t.png
[/B]
Note: There is NO z variation, everything is horizontal (imagine looking down at streamlines)

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation along streamline:

P + 1/2*ρ*V2 + ρ*g*h = Constant ... (1)

Bernoulli's Equation normal to streamline:

P + ρ*V2*(1/R) + ρ*g*h = Constant ... (2)

R: Radius of Curvature

Continuity Equation from Conservation of mass:

Needed to find out what is happening with velocity from inlet to outlet

ρ1*A1*V1 = ρ2*A2*V2 ... (3)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the plots of AF:
I think that the static pressure should be constant along the top wall as it is straight and there is no dynamic pressure. Also, I think that it should equal the total pressure.

GL: [/B]
Same as the plot of AF?

Plot of average static pressure in the streamwise direction:

Using ρ1*A1*V1 = ρ2*A2*V2, where 1 is the inlet and 2 is the outlet:

V2 = A1*V1/A2
A1 > A2
-->V2 > V1
--> P2 < P1

Given this, my assumption is that the pressure drops from the inlet to the outlet, however my main issue is understanding how the static pressure is affected during the concave up and down walls. From (2), I believe that the static pressure should increase as the radius of curvature increases. At the maximum radius of curvature (bottom wall) I think that the static pressure is therefore at its maximum and there will be no dynamic pressure along the bottom wall during the curved regions. My question is how will the average static pressure in the streamwise direction decrease as the fluid passes through the curved regions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unsure how to determine the static pressure variation along the concave up and down walls. I know that Bernoulli's Equation is used to solve for the pressure variation, but I am not sure how to use it in this case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is static pressure along a bounded channel?

Static pressure along a bounded channel refers to the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on the walls of a confined channel at rest. This pressure is caused by the weight of the fluid and its resistance to flow.

2. How is static pressure measured in a bounded channel?

Static pressure can be measured using a pressure transducer, which converts the pressure into an electrical signal that can be read by a pressure gauge or data acquisition system. Alternatively, a manometer can be used to directly measure the pressure by comparing it to a known reference pressure.

3. What factors affect static pressure along a bounded channel?

The static pressure along a bounded channel is primarily affected by the density and velocity of the fluid, as well as the shape and surface roughness of the channel walls. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and changes in direction or obstruction of the flow can also impact the static pressure.

4. How does static pressure change along a bounded channel?

In a straight, uniform channel, the static pressure will decrease as the velocity of the fluid increases. However, in a channel with changes in direction or cross-sectional area, the static pressure may vary along the channel depending on the geometry and flow conditions.

5. Why is static pressure along a bounded channel important?

Understanding the static pressure along a bounded channel is crucial in many engineering and scientific applications, such as in the design of pipelines, ventilation systems, and aerodynamic structures. It can also provide valuable information about the behavior of fluids and the effects of flow on surrounding structures and materials.