Solving Static Problem: Help Needed

• Thread starter phys1618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary, the problem involves a horizontal bar with a cable attached to it, supporting a sign that weighs 300N. The tension in the cable is 2400N, and using the equation a2 + b2 = c2, the force of the bar exerting on the sign is calculated to be 2381.18N. The angle between the cable and the building is 82.8 degrees. The angle between the cable and the bar is 7.2 degrees.
phys1618
static problem..please Help

Homework Statement

a horizontal bar that is sticking straight out from the side of a building has a cable attached at its end. if the tension in the cable is 2400 N when it is supporting a sign that weighs 300N, what force is the bar exerting on the sign and what is the angle between the cable and the building

Homework Equations

a2 + b2 = c2
cos theta= adj/hyp
sin theta= opp/hyp
tan theta= opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

for the force of the bar exerting on the sign I have 2381.18N by using the a2 + b2= c2 equation.
I'm not sure which degree angle is it really asking for in my diagram. I think its the 82.82 degrees.
I know one of the degrees is a right angle, which is 90 degrees.
However, for the second question is my answer correct?? or is it askin for the other degrees?? which is 7.2 degrees.

Thank you for all help!

Physics news on Phys.org

phys1618 said:

Homework Statement

a horizontal bar that is sticking straight out from the side of a building has a cable attached at its end. if the tension in the cable is 2400 N when it is supporting a sign that weighs 300N, what force is the bar exerting on the sign and what is the angle between the cable and the building

Homework Equations

a2 + b2 = c2
cos theta= adj/hyp
sin theta= opp/hyp
tan theta= opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

for the force of the bar exerting on the sign I have 2381.18N by using the a2 + b2= c2 equation.
I'm not sure which degree angle is it really asking for in my diagram. I think its the 82.82 degrees.
I know one of the degrees is a right angle, which is 90 degrees.
However, for the second question is my answer correct?? or is it askin for the other degrees?? which is 7.2 degrees.

Thank you for all help!
Yep, looks good; it is asking for the angle between the cable and building, which is the 82.8 degrees. Draw a quick sketch; the 7.2 degrees is the angle between the cable and bar.

thank you thank you

1. What exactly is a static problem?

A static problem is a situation in which an object or system is not in motion, but is experiencing forces that are keeping it in a state of equilibrium. This means that the object is not accelerating or changing its position, but there are forces acting on it that are balancing each other out.

2. How do I know if a problem is a static problem?

If the problem involves an object or system that is not moving, but is subject to forces, then it is likely a static problem. Also, if the problem asks for values such as tension, normal force, or friction, it is likely a static problem.

3. What steps should I follow to solve a static problem?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on the object or system. Next, apply Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to determine the net force acting on the object. Use this net force to solve for the unknown values, such as tension or normal force. Finally, check your answer by making sure all the forces are balanced and the object is in equilibrium.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a static problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object in the free body diagram. Another mistake is using the wrong sign for the direction of the force. It is important to clearly define the positive and negative directions in the problem and stick to them throughout the solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving static problems more efficiently?

One tip is to always start by drawing a clear and accurate free body diagram. This will help you visualize the problem and make it easier to apply Newton's Second Law. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure all the forces are balanced and the object is in equilibrium before moving on to the next problem.