Lifting a 3m Beam: Calculating Force, Friction, & Net Force

In summary, the construction worker is attempting to lift a uniform beam off the floor and raise it to a vertical position. The beam is 3.00 m long and weighs 372 N. At a certain instant, the worker holds the beam momentarily at rest with one end at a distance of 1.50 m above the floor by exerting a force F on the beam, perpendicular to the beam. The magnitude of F can be found by solving for Fx and Fy using the equations Fnetx=Fx-127cos(52.88)=0 and Fnety=Fy-mg+127(sin52.88)=0. The minimum value for the coefficient of static friction between the beam and floor can be found in order
edgarpokemon
[mentor note: moved here from another forum, hence no homework template.]

A construction worker attempts to lift a uniform beam off the floor and raise it to a vertical position. The beam is 3.00 m long and weighs 372 N. At a certain instant, the worker holds the beam momentarily at rest with one end at distance d = 1.50 m above the floor by exerting a force F on the beam, perpendicular to the beam. (a) What is the magnitude F? (b) What is the magnitude of the (net) force of the floor on the beam? (c) What is the minimum value the coefficient of static friction between beam and floor can have in order for the beam not to slip at this instant?

(The worker is lifting the beam from one end of the beam)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My problem comes in part B. I tried to find the components of the force and the weight of the beam and combine them (since the worker will lift the beam, I assume that the floor will have less force on it since the worker will hold some of the total force). I am confused on part B since I am also not really sure what is asking for

oh I got IT! by myself xp, I fnetx=Fx-127cos(52.88)=0. fnety=Fy-mg+127(sin52.88)=0. Solve for Fx and Fy and use get the magnitude!. Hope this helps if anyone ever encounter this problem, took me 2 hours :(! so simple though (For Part B)

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you must add up all the individual forces acting on an object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

3. What is friction and how does it affect lifting a beam?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When lifting a beam, friction can make it harder to move the beam due to the resistance between the beam and the surface it is resting on. This means that more force is needed to lift the beam.

4. What factors affect the amount of force needed to lift a 3m beam?

The amount of force needed to lift a 3m beam depends on several factors, including the weight of the beam, the angle at which it is being lifted, the friction between the beam and the surface it is resting on, and the force being applied to lift the beam.

5. How can I use these calculations to safely lift a 3m beam?

By calculating the force needed to lift the beam and taking into account factors such as friction and the angle at which it is being lifted, you can determine the safest and most efficient way to lift the beam. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and equipment to avoid injury.